Author Topic: EW350 petrol cap  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Michel H

EW350 petrol cap
« on: 09 Sep 2012 at 13:07 »
Hello, How do you make petroltight this cap. I tried cork washer, leather washer and viton rubber washer but it bend. The petrol seeps and damage the tank paint  :(. Thank you for your advices. Michel.
Michel

Offline Clive

Re: EW350 petrol cap
« Reply #1 on: 09 Sep 2012 at 20:50 »
Hi Michel,
Have had the problem for years.
Easy fix Don't put so much petrol in the tank, find a quantity that does not spill out.
They are so good on fuel a gallon of fuel will give you 70 or so miles.
Regards
Clive

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 10 Sep 2012 at 13:45 »
Michel,
          Are you sure the petrol is escaping around the washer? It could be escaping via the breather hole in the petrol cap. Most petrol caps have a double skin, with a breather hole in each. Now if the inner skin only has one hole, the petrol and vapour will be forced into the space between the skins, and then out of the vent in the cap - or, possibly between the skins. If the inner skin is modified to have a second hole, the vapour can escape via one hole while the petrol returns to the tank via the other hole. Whilst not providing a complete cure, this should reduce the problem.
   To cure a similar problem with the screw on cap on a 2¾HP Douglas, I made a dished circular plate with a breather hole in the centre, which drops into the filler neck before fitting the actual cap. This provides a secondary baffle to prevent the petrol slopping directly against the breather hole in the filler neck.

Regards,
              Eddie.

Offline Michel H

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2012 at 17:00 »
Thank you Clive and Eddie. I'll look this week-end and we keep in touch. Regards. Michel.
Michel

Offline Michel H

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2012 at 17:04 »
Hi, On this cap (in one component) there are only one washer and only one hole. The hole was a little bit blocked. I unblocked it with air compessing. I hope that will help.
Michel