Author Topic: Wiring arrangement for EW350 headlight switch  (Read 9080 times)

Offline Idler

Wiring arrangement for EW350 headlight switch
« on: 04 Sep 2012 at 10:15 »
Hello everyone, this is my first post so forgive me if I get it wrong etc etc..

I am rebuilding a 1927 EW350 with electric lighting and I am having difficulty in rewiring the headlight switch because the wires (as found) had been chopped off just beyond the headlight casing, so I have 7 poles, six (?) wires and what I take to be a resistor with two terminals and two fixing points(?). Could someone please supply a wiring diagram or give me an idea of which wire goes where? Was the wiring all black and was it sheathed in any way?

Secondly, how does the rear support for the footboard mount to the frame please? and

Lastly, I have no battery mount / platform as far as I can see. How was it fixed please?

Thank you in anticipation

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Wiring arrangement for EW350 headlight switch
« Reply #1 on: 06 Sep 2012 at 01:53 »
Idler,

The following images show the 350EW foot board brackets, slightly crumpled. The foot boards and brackets are inverted and the cross tube further away is the rear bracket. The 350EW would have cast aluminum foot boards, these steel foot board pans are a later replacement of unknown origin.

And a close-up of the clips use to mount to the frame at the bottom of the seat post, right way up. The ears rest under the frame tubes that the transmission clamps to (this is off a 1927 model).

-Doug

Offline Idler

« Reply #2 on: 06 Sep 2012 at 12:41 »
Many thanks Doug,
I have the alloy boards and am just sourcing some rubber studs from Jeff Hunter whom I saw at Founders Day. The front mounting bar and clamps are all OK / usable but I have nothing but about 3" of very rusty tube at the rear mount. Are the ones you have looking for a new home? If so, I believe you, as webmaster, have my email address, perhaps you could contact me.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 06 Sep 2012 at 17:23 »
Idler,

Ah, but then what would I use on my EW? I have to straighten that sorry lot out to use on my 350, so not surplus to requirements. Might be able to fix you up with some drawings, if you have a way of fabricating a replica.

Doug

Offline Idler

« Reply #4 on: 07 Sep 2012 at 22:28 »
Hi again Doug, thank you for your offer of drawings especially dimensions. I would really appreciate that.
I can get it near enough by trial and error but the height difference appears to be crucial. I am assuming that a piece of (approx.) 1" tube of sufficient tensile strength, bent to shape with a couple of brackets welded on is about the sum of it... quite easy when you say it quickly, but do-able. Brackets cut out of a sheet of mild steel - hole centre dimensions would be helpful.
Sorry, just musing and pondering.
I believe the ends on the originals on mine were not crimped and bolted through as in your pictures but held in semi-circular clamps - or was that just at the front mounting point?.

Thank you once again. Regards.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 08 Sep 2012 at 04:13 »
Idler,

The bracket went through numerous changes. The earliest version used clamps to attach to the foot boards. The outboard ends of the 7/8 diameter tube were lopped off at a 45 degree angle. The next version, still in late 1925, the ends of the tubes are cut square and the joggle in the tube is more abrupt (tighter radius). Then in 1926 the joggles moved outward, and the end of the tube were trapped, with a single bolt piercing the center (as shown in the picture of my foot rest brackets). There may have been more changes over the years, those are just the ones I am aware of. The bends in the tubing all lie on one plane. the only vertical offset is in the bracket that connects the cross tube to the frame.

It seems the same foot board casting was used in either case, drilled for the clamp only when being provided as spares for an earlier model.

Doug
« Last Edit: 08 Sep 2012 at 04:20 by Doug »

Offline Idler

« Reply #6 on: 10 Sep 2012 at 14:23 »
Well,  a very big thank you to Doug for the footboard bracket information, I hope to get that under way over the next few weeks.

BUT .... can anyone help with the wiring for the headlamp please? It is a Miller about 5 1/2" diameter and the switch has 7 terminals with as I said in my first post, what appears to be a resistor in circuit across two of the terminals. On the exterior of the switch it is marked

OFF         C         H          L

OFF is self explanatory, C may be a charging position (hence the resistor / regulator within the switch?), H is possibly Headlight and L for low or sidelight. The headlight unit has a twin feed connection fitting with parallel pins but no separate sidelight facility. I am experimenting with a 6v 25/25 halogen bulb which seems to work OK but I don't want to wire the switch incorrectly if someone has the knowledge.

Does anyone have experience of an EW with electric lighting?

Any thoughts on the correct battery mounting arrangement above the gearbox?

Offline kmd

« Reply #7 on: 10 Sep 2012 at 17:21 »
Hi Idler
I thick the wiring would be basically the same as a S6.
C= Low charge
H= High charge
L= Lights
The early 30's models only had 6 volt 12 watt single contact , the later was 6volt 18/18 watt double contact.
tail tight 6volt 3watt ( stop light were not fitted)

Regards
Kevin

Larger view
« Last Edit: 24 Sep 2012 at 20:49 by Dave »

Offline podge

« Reply #8 on: 11 Sep 2012 at 09:18 »
Hi Idler

Re the battery mouneing above the gearbox. When I rebuilt my A 32, I used an Indian Enfield battery carrier that I picked up secondhand at the Kempton Park bike jumble and mounted it on a plate that is held by the gearchange spindle. You can see photos of it in the Members Gallery posted on 11 March 2010,

Paul

Offline Idler

« Reply #9 on: 22 Sep 2012 at 21:05 »
Another post and another BIG Thank You to Paul and Kevin for their advice, help and assistance.

Offline watchpaintdry

« Reply #10 on: 28 May 2020 at 07:41 »
I am busy looking for a headlight for my bike would you be able to post some pics so I know what I am looking for? Thanks

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #11 on: 01 Jun 2020 at 02:43 »
Detail photos of EW's with electric lighting seem to be rather conspicuous by their absence ?
The pancake BTH gets lots of pics, but nothing on the rest.

This was on Car&Classic just recently, but it was sold and any further pics have been removed.

Headlamps from that era tend to have the switch mounted on the vertical back of the lamp,
but I have no info that says that Douglas did it like that. Nor what brand of lamp Douglas supplied ?
Using any old lamp and components and running a constant loss electrical system is a distinct possibility ?
Good luck, we'll be watching with interest.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 01 Jun 2020 at 04:29 »
The EW used the BTH electrical lighting set of the day. However, there was nothing that said the owner could not mix and match accessories.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2020 at 00:15 by Doug »

Offline arturro

« Reply #13 on: 01 Jun 2020 at 06:48 »
This is my EW 350 1926 with Lucas front and rear lamp (MT110) .  This is original set from this period

Offline arturro

« Reply #14 on: 01 Jun 2020 at 06:50 »
Rear lamp Lucas MT110

Offline arturro

« Reply #15 on: 01 Jun 2020 at 06:50 »
Front lamp Lucas

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #16 on: 01 Jun 2020 at 06:57 »
Aha, details are emerging.

This has also been discussed previously, with further BTH details.

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=7371.0
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=4214.0

Thats a very nice original bike that you have there Arturro.
Thankyou for the pic.
I've shown that to my bike/project....
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2020 at 23:04 by EW-Ron »

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #17 on: 01 Jun 2020 at 11:25 »
I have a 1930 H3 with original electric lighting set.
I have made the (new)wires some weeks ago.
The switch has letters for BATTERY - DYN - Tail  marked. DIM and FULL has a wire direct from the swith to the bulbs. No switch on the handlebar.

Michael

Offline douglas1947

• Master Member
« Reply #18 on: 01 Jun 2020 at 11:29 »
This is the original battery holder, fitted on the lugs on saddle down tube (1930 H3). The top clamp was misssing; I made a replica.
May be there is a difference on the earlier EW model.

Michael

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #19 on: 01 Jun 2020 at 23:47 »
The BTH dynamo for the EW was available by April 1926. The original write-up in The motor Cycle (attached) didn't describe or show the associated headlamp or tail lamp. From Doug's brochure and Artur's lovely original bike it seems some early EWs used the Lucas head and tail lamps with the BTH pancake generator?

Also attached is an illustration of the BTH electric head and tail lamps from 11 November 1926. I can't recall seeing either of these items in the flesh, so I guess they are pretty rare. The later BTH lamps like Michael's 1930 model are more common, but still very hard to find these days.

Cheers

Leon

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: 02 Jun 2020 at 00:21 »
Leon,

I think you have the right of it. I automatically said BTH lighting set, but it does look like the Lucas tail lamp in the brochure. The brochure I have is a mediocre photocopy, but enlarging another view in it shows what must be the rampant lion of the Lucas logo. So it appears that just the dyno and cutout were BTH. BTH were supplying lights, but perhaps not until a year or two later? I don't know the history of British motorcycling lighting very well as by the time I get them the lighting sets are usually long gone!

-Doug

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #21 on: 02 Jun 2020 at 00:21 »
Hi early pic of 27/8 600 with electric set Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #22 on: 02 Jun 2020 at 00:27 »
Hi Check this I just uploaded this here www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=8132.0 Douglas Electric lighting set EW Brochure Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Alan

« Reply #23 on: 02 Jun 2020 at 04:02 »
Lights for Douglas machines seemed to be a confusing area (probably a cost issue) as the advert for the B29 in Motorcycling April 1929 claims ....seperate unit electrical system....but on the bike pic lights are acetylene !
Implied as comes with bike ?    or possibly a “ would Sir like this nice feature as well at an extra charge ?” as dealers still try to push on you as these decades later.

On the reverse of the advert ....Announcing special features of the Lucas Headlamp.

« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2020 at 21:34 by Dave »

Offline EW-Ron

« Reply #24 on: 02 Jun 2020 at 06:13 »
Now that advert immediately above refers to a "Magdyno set".

I'd interpret that as for the generator piggy backed onto the top of the magneto part of it.
Is that in fact what it is - and is there even room under the tank for that ?
Or is this simply a generic advert, not Douglas specific at all ?

There certainly is a wealth of info coming out of the woodwork on this...

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #25 on: 02 Jun 2020 at 06:27 »
This is the headlight on my E28

« Last Edit: 17 Jun 2020 at 21:28 by Dave »

Offline arturro

« Reply #26 on: 02 Jun 2020 at 10:18 »
As like Leon and Doug said " From Doug's brochure and Artur's lovely original bike it seems some early EWs used the Lucas head and tail lamps with the BTH pancake generator?"   In my opinion 100% true. I have in my EW350 front and rear lamp Lucas , but pancake generator and cutout is from BTH .

Best regards Artur

Offline arturro

« Reply #27 on: 02 Jun 2020 at 10:23 »
 And last point . Also In my EW is fitted original Lucas batery holder with  Joseph Lucas ...description .  Please look at photo

By the way ... I dont know who was supplier for electric wires BTH or Lucas  :lol:

Best regards Artur

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #28 on: 02 Jun 2020 at 10:28 »
As like Leon and Doug said " From Doug's brochure and Artur's lovely original bike it seems some early EWs used the Lucas head and tail lamps with the BTH pancake generator?"   In my opinion 100% true. I have in my EW350 front and rear lamp Lucas , but pancake generator and cutout is from BTH .

Exactly as per the illustration in the Lighting brochure posted by Daren.

Leon