Author Topic: finish of the original E31  (Read 3679 times)

Offline ManfrerdSt

finish of the original E31
« on: 14 Aug 2012 at 07:53 »
Hi Douglas Community

It would be interesting finish of the originals (no restoration) E31. I have not found a photo the WEB.
When I clean red ornamental stripes found on the rims. I had not seen this before, but seems to be original.
very important would be the color of E31 tank.
The difference in detail T6-1930 and E31-1931 would be very interesting.
Best thanks in advance for your help!

Manfred

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: finish of the original E31
« Reply #1 on: 14 Aug 2012 at 09:50 »
Manfred,
             As Doug said, the tank on the E31 would be much the same as Alex's G31 tank, except that it would have had a painted top panel. The G31 tank does not have a top panel as it has 2 filler necks, so shaping a panel around these necks whilst retaining a shape that suited the profile of the tank would be almost impossible. I believe the tanks on the 1930 S6/T6 were available with an option of silver or chrome, with the panels in 'Oxford Blue' with white? lining. In 1931 the tanks were chrome with the side panels surrounded by a new tartan border - this paint scheme was continued for 1932. The S6/T6 tank, as already mentioned, has only one filler neck that is centrally positioned.
 It would be interesting to get more feedback regarding your wheel rims - my S6 has WM2 x 19 Dunlop rims - and I thought this was standard for all the S6/T6 range. Also the fact that the rims are 'lined' - plain black seemed to be standard for that year. There is quite a good photo of 3 1931 models on page 60 of Eric Brockway's book 'The Illustrated History of Douglas Motorcycles' - all 3 of these have the plain black wheels.

Regards,
                Eddie.

Offline ManfrerdSt

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:08 »
Hi Eddie,

my tank has chrome. The colors are set grinds unprofessional. I think, therefore, is not the original. The form is identical with 1930 T6.
My bike is from sweden, there could be an export model?
The book by Eric Brockway, I have not unfortunately.

Regards Manfred

« Last Edit: 27 Aug 2012 at 19:38 by Dave »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2012 at 11:32 »
Hi Manfred,
                Prewar, Douglas offered their machines modified to the customers requirements (presumably, this incurred an extra charge) and could have included change of colour, and possibly the oversize wheel rims - so your bike may have been built to special order by the factory, or more likely, it has been modified in the intervening years. Having looked at the photo you have just posted, someone has made some changes from standard. The gearchange gate on the side of the tank is not standard - as the gate is set at a different angle. Originally the rear fixing would have been used for the kneegrip rubber, and the gate would have been mounted on the forward pair of bosses. Also, the gate gives much more movement than the original one (and is for a 4 speed gearbox) - so maybe there has been a change of gearbox (although Douglas did offer the option of their own 4 speed box).

Eddie.

Offline ManfrerdSt

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2012 at 14:35 »
OK, OK
The gearchange gate is homemade by the previous owner. The Douglas gearbox is completely missing. It was an NSU built gear that worked with this gate.
The gearchange gate is also a part that I need, or must rebuild.
Manfred.