Author Topic: magneto  (Read 4452 times)

Offline john ellis

magneto
« on: 21 Jun 2012 at 19:24 »
Hi i am new to this and i have just bought an S6   and am going to restore it i need the magneto drive which in the parts book it is no C/11988 i have tried before with out any luck the must be somebody out there that has one for sale or is there anyone who can give me a scaled drawing so that a programe for cnc machine which i have access to can be made. i am tryingt to attach pic of the part that i need.  cheers  john
it seems that i havent made it very clear the pic is not my mag it is a pic i was sent so that i could see what part was missing .

once again thanks  John  ( please please can anybody help me )

« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2012 at 21:56 by Dave »

Offline David Lawrence

Re: magneto
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jun 2012 at 23:28 »
Hi John,
I was talking to people attending the Douglas Club Rally this weekend about your problem, If you contact the pre war spares section of the Douglas Club they may well be able to help you, unless we are talking at cross purposes they have some in stock, suggest an email to them at douglas.prewarspares@yahoo.co.uk
Good luck
Dave

Offline MRD

« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2012 at 05:54 »
Hi All
Unfortunately its not the gear we hold in the spares.
I think we may have been at cross purposes Dave, we hold the tube with internal gear teeth which drives the dynamo.
Regards      Martin

Offline Jeffrey Rook

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jul 2012 at 08:13 »
Hi did you get the magneto gear is it the one that has a "key hole" like hole to take the magneto shaft with drive key? I may have one ,regards jeff

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jul 2012 at 11:41 »
John,
         If you have the magneto drive in the timing chest and the magneto itself, you should be able to work out the dimensions of the drive dog (along with the photo to work from). As you can see from the rough finish around the centre of the dog, it was never machined to be a neat fit in the centre of the drive gear. Just the thickness of the dog needs to be a reasonably neat fit in the slot in the drive gear. The round button shown in the photo is just that - a slightly domed sprung button that is retained by careful peening of the hole. This button just eliminates any backlash in the drive, as the magneto is actually driven by the other side of the dog. When fitting the magneto, you will find that it should sit on 4 headed pins that go into the 3/16" holes in the top of the crankcase - this was done in an attempt to reduce the heat transfer from the engine to the magneto.

Regards,
                   Eddie.