Author Topic: Douglas Gearbox  (Read 9252 times)

Offline Bud Burkey

• http://burkey.motorcyclecity.net/
Douglas Gearbox
« on: 28 Feb 2005 at 03:37 »
I am new, I would like to know what douglas gear box that was used in a VW engine adaptation change and about the years this was done in or some info about this gear box.
Thanks Bud

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Douglas Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2005 at 03:50 »
Mr. Burkey,

I have not heard of a VW engine adaptation.  Even the earliest 36(?) horsepower VW engines would overtax any Douglas gearbox.  The PostWar Douglas only is about a 18hp engine.  Also accommodating the engine in the frame would be impossible without elongation.  

I have seen pictures of the Dragonfly Douglas (1955-57) with adaptations of a two-cylinder Panhard engine and also I think the 2CV Citroen engine.  These were built in the early seventies I believe.  Perhaps they are what you are thinking of?  The first was known as ‘Sir Panfly’.  

Other than the rare pre-war 'Endeavour' model, only the post war Mark series and the Dragonfly have transmissions suitable for a transverse engine layout.  While the gearboxes look different, internally they are of similar construction.  

-Doug

Offline Bud Burkey

• http://burkey.motorcyclecity.net/
Douglas Gearbox
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2005 at 04:09 »
Doug

I have pics of two bikes by British builders. Brian James adaptation which uses a Douglas Dragonfly frame and Alan Daff used a Norton fetherbed frame both solved the transmission problem with a Douglas gear box and each have side cars on them.
Bud

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Douglas Gearbox
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2005 at 05:38 »
Bud,

Do you have scanned copies of the photos you mention? If so and you'd like to share them here, please email them to photos@douglasmotorcycles.net and I'll post them here.

For those who may not have seen some of Bud's work, here's one photo of a 2316cc Porsche engined 'two wheeled wonder'. There's more wild machinery on display at his website - http://burkey.motorcyclecity.net/index.html

Dave

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Douglas Gearbox
« Reply #4 on: 01 Mar 2005 at 01:00 »
Bud sent in a couple of photos with the following caption.

"Two VW-engined motorcycles by British builders. Top: Brian James' adaptation which uses a Douglas Dragonfly frame. Bottom: Alan Daff used a Norton "featherbed" frame and front fork. Both solved the transmission problem using a Douglas gearbox - something few U.S. crotch-karters have ever seen."

Thanks for sending these in Bud. And for those of us who haven't heard the term before, what's a "crotch-karter"?

Edit... Bud sent in a message that a "crotch-karter" refers to a side car rig.

Dave

Later edit... a couple of close-ups

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
Douglas Dragonfly with an inline 4
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2005 at 10:01 »
Hi bear with me I'm new to this. I supplied some parts to a guy in Riverstone Sydney Australia who converted a Dragonfly with a US Crosley side valve 4 cylinder (900cc ?). He stretching the frame a long way to fit the four he also replaced the headlight with a long cone made of steel and blended it with plastic filler then mounted 2 extra headlights next to this. Have not seen a photo yet but have spoken with him many times will try and get photo Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!