Author Topic: Help to Identify T35  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Jonathan

Help to Identify T35
« on: 03 Apr 2012 at 11:11 »
Hi, my brother took this photo at our local swap meet (market) at Scorseby (Victoria, Australia).  The tank looks wrong for this bike.  I have a T35 but my tank looks very different. Did Douglas produce a large volume tank, or has a previous owner put the wrong tank on?
Any advice appreciated.

Jonathan
(Geelong)

p.s.  It has found a new home now in my shed.
Jonathan H.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Help to Identify T35
« Reply #1 on: 03 Apr 2012 at 15:06 »
Jonathan,
              The only tank listed for the T35 Mk1 was the standard 3 gallon tank. Later on, Douglas made 4 gallon steel tanks and 4 gallon alloy tanks for the Plus machines - these could be fitted to the earlier models. The tank you show looks to be similar in shape to the 4 gallon Plus tank, but the tunnel is different - on the Plus tank, it is only about 1" high at the back of the tank, and there is no cutaway for the nose of the saddle.
      Regards,
                   Eddie.

Offline David Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2012 at 11:38 »
Dear Jonathan,
Regarding your T35 find, it does look to be a good candidate for restoration, hopefully that is your intention in it finding its way into your garage! Or are you like so many of us and cannot resist collecting the Douggies!
I must agree that Eddie is right about the tank, although similar to the 41/2 gallon plus tank your has significant variations around the back end and the tunnel. I doubt it has been modified so is unlikely to have been an original Douglas product.
The reason for this posting is to ask you a favour, would you be prepared to send the data about the bike to the London Douglas machine registrar, we are about to publish the updated version after far too long a break and would very much appreciate adding a recently saved bike to our records, it may of course already exist on record in which case we have some info on its history, in any case we will be able to identify its date of manufacture and dispatch from the works records.
If you would be iprepared to register the bike please email the details directly to our registrar Mr Len Boydell at his email address douglasregistrar@talktalk.net he will be only too pleased to receive the details. I assume as a T35 owner already you are familiar with the location of frame, engine and gearbox numbers.
Good Luck with the restoration.
Dave
Incidently: anyboby else reading this post, Len would be only too happy to receive details of any Douglas machines in your possession, it does not matter if they are already on record as it confirms the data we have is correct and up to date, you do not need to be a Club member to participate in our register, in truth the more we can list the more useful the publication becomes.
regarding the security of the information we no longer identify owners nor publish information regarding ownership without prior permission of the owner.

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2012 at 12:06 »
Thanks for your advice Eddie and David.
Happy to send the details to the Douglas Register.  Might include a couple of other machines as well.

Regards
Jonathan
Jonathan H.

motorcycle