Author Topic: Endeavor engine drawings/instructions  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Michael Scott

• Born again motorcyclist.
Endeavor engine drawings/instructions
« on: 06 Mar 2012 at 13:46 »
I am restoring an Endeavor engine for a friend.
Initial search shows that the factory did not issue an Instruction Book - Is this true? - If so what drawings and instructions are available?
The engine has had a very unhappy life with quite a few fins damaged - the ones that worry me most are the steel (cast iron?) ones at the top of the barrel.  Trying to weld might cause difficulties with the aluminium fins and "barrel" round the steel liner. Gluing parts to fins on my '54 AJS single has worked a treat but not sure that would be suitable.
Any advice?
Regards
Michael

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Re: Endeavor engine drawings/instructions
« Reply #1 on: 07 Mar 2012 at 01:30 »
Micheal,

I have an Endeavour special, so have kept a keen eye out for any original factory literature. I have yet to discover any for the Endeavour except for sales brochures. No handbook or spares lists have come to light.

The engine is nearly identical to the Blue Chief of the same year, and so very much like the later 500/600 Aero models. The later used all cast iron barrels and heads, and indeed some Endeavour restorations have had to use Aero barrels and heads because the original aluminum items were beyond repair. The cast iron 'sandwich plate' between cylinder and head is a separate piece from the cast iron cylinder liner. It uses the liner as a spigot, and there is a small dowel between the valves to locate orientation. But I have heard that they can become seized in place via corrosion, such that they are impossible to separate (without a comprehensively equipped workshop.)  But if you can remove it, a weld/braze repair will be much easier to effect.

-Doug

Offline Michael Scott

« Reply #2 on: 07 Mar 2012 at 08:47 »
Doug
Many thanks
Regards
Michael

Offline Michael Scott

« Reply #3 on: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:04 »
The good news is that the Endeavour clutch is easy to remove once you have peered and poked into the inners.

The round clutch housing has two inspection plugs at 90 degrees to each other.  Reomove and turn the clutch and you will see six screws (in my case allen screws but should probably be cheese head screws or bolt heads)  Remove these and the whole plate, complete with spring, comes out.  We put a bar across the "bell housing" but you only get a small relaxation.
The cork friction plate then lifts out as does the steel pate with "ears" exposing the crankshaft nut. Job done!

The intention later is to document my travels in the Endeavour engine complete with photos but I currently have acamera which only switches on when there is a x in the month

Michael

Offline MikeBleksley

• Dad's E29 loading onto SS Montcalm 1930
« Reply #4 on: 02 Apr 2019 at 07:23 »
Dear Michael,

Did you ever get around to documenting your travels in the Endeavour engine?

Kind regards,
Mike

motorcycle