Author Topic: Douglas engine  (Read 10132 times)

Offline halton

Douglas engine
« on: 02 Dec 2011 at 16:59 »
Douglas believes the engine is a 550 cc from 1925 price 1000us can be sent
engine is in a rack and can be started without any problems.

contact

Allan

004521218149 Denmark

« Last Edit: 02 Dec 2011 at 18:15 by Dave »

Offline ariel

Re: Douglas engine
« Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2012 at 20:26 »
Dear,Halton,
In Douglas is the engine you have. (jonsonfull@gmail.com)
I'm seriously interested in what would be the lowest price.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2012 at 08:22 »
Hello All,

I believe the identification of this motor is incorrect. It has been fitted with the Magy from a stationary and the manifold and carby has been modified. The base is not the base of a stationary motor as they are not fitted with frame rail mounting. Stationary motors did not have a clutch flywheel but a fan flywheel.

The sight feed and crankcase mounting suggest it is from a 27 or 28 EW 600 cycle and I would guess the engine number starts with EH.

This is why it is important that even before submitting a pic the stamped number is an easy identification.

Hope this helps.

regards Alan

Offline OCTypeCanada

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2018 at 14:45 »
The above is an older post but the pictures were used recently on scam to try and sell the engine to me in Canada.  I had posted a wanted ad and someone in Ontario came up with the above pictures wanting to sell me the engine for $600.  They also had several other rare parts to fit my OC type.  I was skeptical about their requirement for quick payment, did some online searches and found these images.  Too good to be true and I had to call the transaction off.  Of course they were offended.  Any chance a watermark can be used for pictures posted here to show their source?  Probably complicates life for the administrator but in any event, shows you have to do some due diligence in any purchase.

Gord

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2018 at 19:09 »
Hi Gord,

Thanks for posting this warning, it never ceases to amaze me the scams people invent.

Watermarking images is possible, though there are all sorts of problems associated with it.

Visible watermarking has several disadvantages and limitations. If implemented in a non-intrusive way, it can probably be easily circumvented by the scammer.

Good invisible watermarking costs money to implement, although I believe reasonable shareware and lower cost software options now exist. The problem here is the would-be buyer needs a means to check for the invisible watermark – usually the software that created the watermark in the first place. This probably means asking us to check each advertiser’s images for an invisible watermark.

So when I do a quick mental run-through of these image protection options, a non-intrusive but secure watermarking operation turns into a big job, well beyond the means of a free community site like this one.

Your advice about adopting a suspicious mindset when dealing with unknown advertisers and doing appropriate due diligence, is probably the best suggestion and something we should write up in an advisory post for Members. Perhaps you could tell us what kind of searches you did to trace the true source of the photographs?

Dave

Offline OCTypeCanada

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2018 at 19:37 »
Dave,
  The internet search that narrowed it down fairly quickly in this case was to query for "1927 Stationary Douglas motorcycle engine".  When I scrolled down the resulting images under the "Images" tab I didn't have to scroll down far to reach the same image the guy posing as a seller had sent me.  When I clicked on the image found in the internet search it linked back to this Douglas site and I could see all the pictures and original post.  The guy posing as the seller said he had removed it from a motorcycle ten years earlier, in Canada.  The above pictures were from 2012 so less than twelve years, and from Denmark.  I called him on his scam at that point and they went silent.

Gord

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2018 at 20:05 »
Thanks Gord, would you be able to send me the images that the scammer sent you please?
I would just like to see if and how they were modified. It might help us formulate some ideas for Members to check the true source of images.
If you could send them to the address shown in this topic, that would be much appreciated.

Dave

Updated details for emailing photos - Dave, 11Feb2021
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2021 at 21:31 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 15 Feb 2018 at 13:20 »
Thanks Gord, photo received.

Dave