Author Topic: 1957 Dragonfly  (Read 5295 times)

Offline Neil Warner

1957 Dragonfly
« on: 01 Nov 2011 at 23:58 »
My 1957 Dragonfly. very standard.

« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2011 at 19:53 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: 1957 Dragonfly
« Reply #1 on: 04 Nov 2011 at 20:00 »
Thanks to Neil for sending in some more photos of his 1957 Dragonfly. Also for permission to attach the following note accompanying the photos.

I bought the Fly partly restored but it needed serious work on the ignition and the gearbox. It is pretty original after lying under a bench for 30 odd years. The tank has the original chrome and paint. I decided that they were worth keeping in this state otherwise some of the character would be lost. The brakes are from a Mark model. these I assume were fitted some time ago. They are a better brake than the 'fly's. I do prefer sympathetic restorations as opposed to ones that are restored down to the number of threads showing on bolts and are trailered to shows and preserved in cotton wool. As like all my bikes it is used maybe not daily, but in the summer months it is used a couple of times a week. I have added a side stand from a Hyabusa as I have 2 replacement knees and had several operations on my spine. Hauling it onto the center stand every time I park is not advised. The Hyab stand has not made it any faster!

« Last Edit: 04 Nov 2011 at 21:28 by Dave »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2012 at 10:19 »
Hello all,

I could not believe the above when I brought up the above today. About 2 months ago (no it was Feb) I got the call to check out a Douglas Dragonfly that had been purchased from a closed business by a Museum in south Qld. I believe Simon from the closed business on a trip back to his old country purchased the bike for show in his business. Anyway being desperate for a dragonfly I jumped on it at 6 k with all or most of its previous history.

Now the colours are the same as the above bike but original and a bit rough and the rego number is TYP216. I was not attracted to the Dragonfly but it sure gets a lot of attention from visitors. And yes it is a runner but the seat would need to be redone to go back on the road. Pic to follow.

regards Alan

« Last Edit: 11 Jul 2012 at 21:48 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2012 at 21:48 »
Photo added to Alan's post above.

motorcycle