Author Topic: Engine case ID  (Read 5859 times)

Offline Dewey

Engine case ID
« on: 13 Oct 2011 at 22:49 »
Hi to all. I'm working on the Fulton Douglas engine & transmission and noticed that both are marked "V2D". I searched around and found no reference to such numbers.
Can anyone shed light on this?

Dewey

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Engine case ID
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2011 at 23:40 »
Dewey,

As you probably saw in the identification tables here on the Forum, the engine, trans, and frame prefixes should be EQ, GB, and YF respectively. V2D sounds more like an inspection department stamp (V5 was very popular.) However these were always stamped in fairly small characters, like 3/16 of an inch high.

Douglas was not unknown to assign special prefixes to one-offs. However I have not read anything previously that indicated they had done this for Fulton's machine. By all accounts it was a standard machine off the line, that Fulton had modifications done to by the factory for extra carriage capacity, sump protection, and such to make it more suitable for the rough conditions expected. Possible, but I don't know. V2D is completely outside of the range of any engine or transmission prefix known to be assigned. 

As you probably know from the story, originally it was equipped as an outfit, but this was written off in a crash in Belgium at the start of the world circumnavigation.

Regards,
-Doug

Offline Dewey

Re: Engine case ID
« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2011 at 10:58 »
Hi Doug - the only other meaningful characters on the engine cases are "RF" on the drive side and "69" on the timing side. You don't have to stretch your imagination very far to figure out what "RF" stands for.

Dewey 

Offline PeterByday

Engine case ID
« Reply #3 on: 10 Sep 2017 at 19:31 »
Anyone know where I can get an engine case and parts hot tanked here in the Okanagan?