Author Topic: MKIII Sports - paint  (Read 5310 times)

Offline Killipso

• Fly Fishers' Republic
MKIII Sports - paint
« on: 07 Sep 2011 at 14:10 »
I'm in the process of restoring a MKIII Sports (a project taken over from my father) - the tank and guards may need repainting and I was wondering if anyone could recommend paints currently available in the UK, to match the original silver, blue and black. The tank was once restored in 1971 when the blue panel was restored in the darker Douglas blue - I've seen some bikes with a lighter blue but believe the darker version on my bike to be true to the 1948/9 colour applied in this bike. I have what are reasonable replacement colours (though they may be matching colours altered over time) but would appreciate any advice on what is available and considered de facto colours. Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered.
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2011 at 20:20 by Killipso »

Offline Killipso

• Fly Fishers' Republic
Re: MKIII Sports - paint
« Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2011 at 21:32 »
After finding everything I can within the site regarding colours, I have an additional query:

What is the colour of the line than separates the blue side panel on the tank from the black area upon which the blue panel sits - is it an off white matching that of the letters of the Douglas decal (from what I've seen that's what I'm guessing)?

I think I may have read somewhere a suggestion the lines should be gold but I've never seen the lines done that way on Mark.

Last night I managed to find my earlier correspondence with Frank Dolman, LDMCC, August 1998. So far I have managed to glean that the side panels should be Ford Fjord Blue (ref. ) - Anyone know what the would be today? I wonder how it compares to the Oxford Blue mentioned here on the forum?

I'm guessing that perhaps asking for 'de facto' colours was asking too much as it is apparent  the original colours were not necessarily consistent throughout the phase of production of the MK3. There is an idea I think that the side panels should be a lighter blue (Tahiti Blue (Triumph car colour)) but the original paint on my Tank was never that light...

Any thoughts/observations at all would be most appreciated.

Offline Dawn

« Reply #2 on: 09 Sep 2011 at 12:22 »
Hi,

Regarding you query regarding the colour markings of the tank - may I refer you to a picture of my bike on the official clubs' site, a link to the picture is:-

http://www.douglasmcc.co.uk/index.php?option=com_zoom&Itemid=32&page=view&catid=1&PageNo=3&key=25&hit=1

Regarding the paint colours, I'm afraid I don't know the colour names, except to say the Douglas Dark Blue was paint matched by a professional company & the sample was taken from a club machine badge,  The silver muguards - I do not know the clour name except to say its a metalic silver (as in Silver silver not a Silver Grey).

Hope this helps slightly.

Dawn.

P.S My sub frame is the wrong one - so don't panic when you see that yours is different.

Offline Killipso

• Fly Fishers' Republic
« Reply #3 on: 09 Sep 2011 at 19:38 »
Thanks for the reply Dawn. I saw your bike on the LDMCC site recently - very nice. What silencers are fitted?

Today I visited the chap who's doing the restoration, to discuss the colours and layout. After reading all previous forum posts on the subject, and re-reading a pile of old New Conrod issues (1960's - 1990's) I can find nothing de facto (a term that looks progressively more misguided) and am beginning to come round the the idea that close is as good as I can expect - what with formulas changing, systems changing, time passing and nothing ever fully recorded.

However, the unrestored tank that I have has plenty of blue left on it (on the underside) and silver on top, which could be matched in a similar fashion to your machine. The blue on my tank which was painted in 1970 is slightly darker than the "Ford Fjord Blue" (ICI Autocolor: Q-XSC1431 8355 Fiord Blue 1977) mentioned by Frank Dolman.

My dilemma is whether to go with the 1970 colour already on my tank or Frank's "Fjord Blue".

The lighter Ford/ICI colour sounds a little like the lighter colour often referred to as applied to MK3s. But then if I am to believe my father originally had a good job done in 1970, club members of the time thought so, then maybe the slightly darker blue is what I should stick with... have I answered my own query?

Offline Dawn

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2011 at 12:33 »
Hi,

Regarding your question - What silencers are fitted?

Dad had the exhausts & silencers professionally made to fit the bike by a company in Rochdale, Unity Equip  think they were called.  I remember them having the bike for a month whilst they were made.

Regarding the colour, its a matter of preference, I prefer the darker blue, but its your machine.  Go with what you want.  Find photos of both colours & perhaps take it from there.

Dawn

Offline Killipso

• Fly Fishers' Republic
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2012 at 12:02 »
My tank has finally gone to be chromed and the colours are to be matches of the paint left over from the 1970 restoration. Discussion with Frank D, here on the forum, and  some very helpful LDMCC club members has helped me to this decision. I will post back the formulas used and any other relevant details that might help others. The company I'm employing for the tank restoration is called Avant Car Bodies - they're based in Cromford, Derbyshire. The owner, a nice guy called Morris, is great with paint and shows the kind of enthusiasm and ability you hope for in one to whom you hand your Pride and Clarke, sorry, Joy :roll: Anyway, seeing how well he could match the original colours and his level of craftsmanship sealed my decision.

Currently I'm trying to choose someone to do the lining. I've settled for white lines - top and sides -  though on the 1970 restoration the tank had a silver line around the blue side panels and white around the top silver panel. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Frank D's photos of an original tank show the lines all to be white, but I wonder if Douglas were so consistent that all the MKIIIs were painted that way? As it stands, I will go with all white lines.