Author Topic: Dragonfly Gearbox  (Read 5453 times)

Offline Neil Warner

Dragonfly Gearbox
« on: 24 Jul 2011 at 15:25 »
Having got my D/F running of sorts the next thing I have discovered is that gear selection is difficult and I only can engage first and third
Top will go in but jumps straight back out. before I investigate the problem can anyone point me in the right direction please

Neil

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Dragonfly Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2011 at 18:43 »
Neil,
        The problem with poor selection of 4th gear on late Dragonflies is quite common and can be rectified by fitting a couple of thick shims. The problem you have with 2nd gear could be caused by the nut on the rear of the layshaft being loose - allowing the layshaft to move forward. My advice would be to remove the plate with the gearchange on it. Firstly remove the pointer so that you leave the selector quadrant in place when you take off the cover plate. Inside you will be able to see the gears and check the depth of engagement of the drive dogs. With a large screwdriver, you will be able to turn the quadrant to engage each gear. 2nd gear is engaged when the rear selector fork moves forward, causing the sliding gear to engage with the dogs on the layshaft. If the layshaft can be moved fore and aft, then the nut on the back end will be loose. This can be accessed by removing the final drive assembly from the opposite side of the 'box.
   Turning the quadrant further clockwise will engage 3rd and top gears. Top gear is selected when the front fork moves forward - engaging the sliding gear with the back of the input gear. On some Dragonflies, the mesh is not deep enough, causing it to jump out again when under load. If this is the case, I'm afraid the gearbox will have to be removed to effect a repair.
   The gearbox can be removed without taking out the engine - providing you remove the toolbox and the swinging arm pivot bolt (with the bike on the stand, of course!). This will create enough room to pull the 'box away from the engine. On the front you will find a 'figure 8' alloy plate held by 6 x 1/4"BSF nuts - remove this plate along with the input shaft (you may have to rotate the shaft to line up the layshaft gear with a cutaway in the input shaft). Next remove the clutch coupling (it can be very stubborn), then remove the 4 countersunk screws from the retaining plate on the other side of the plate - the input shaft can then be removed (be careful - it runs on loose 1/4" rollers). Next, warm the figure 8 plate to assist removal of the outer bearing track and backing washer, then produce a shim 1 to 1.5 mm thick to fit behind the washer. Insert the shim before replacing the washer and outer track, then make a shim of the same thickness that will fit over the protruding outer track and the same shape as the retaining plate. Then reassemble in the reverse order of dismantling. This modification will set the input shaft back by the thickness of the shim - giving deeper engagement of top gear without affecting the mesh of any of the other ratios.
     This may sound complicated but it will transform the gearbox - and there aren't any other 'nasties' when dismantling the front of the 'box.

Good Luck and regards,
                                         Eddie.

Offline Neil Warner

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2011 at 19:43 »
Many thanks Eddie,
                               I shall have have a look at the week end and let you know how I get on.

Neil

Offline Neil Warner

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2011 at 20:31 »
Hi Eddie,
I had some time to spare, so I investigated the gear box and found as you predicted that the nut on the layshaft was about to drop off and top is not engaging with the dogs on the input shaft. Many thanks for the information it has saved me a lot of time and headaches. I shall remove the box from the frame snd get some shim material as soon as I can.

Best Regards

Neil

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2011 at 20:53 »
Neil,
        From the Dragonfly spares book, you will see there should be a spacer washer between the front layshaft bearing and the gear (in fact 2 thicknesses are listed) - these are no longer available, so you may have to measure the distance from the front face to the gear and compare it to the distance from the face to the bearing - then make a spacer about 5 thou narrower. This will then also take the thrust on the layshaft - thus reducing the load on the nut.
      By the way - any sheet metal - even aluminium will be OK for the shims on the input bearing.

Regards,
                    Eddie.

Offline Neil Warner

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2011 at 21:24 »
Thanks Eddie,
I have got some 1.2 mm Aluminium on its way. i shall Tighten up the layshaft nut and measure the clearance when I have the gearbox on the bench.

Regards

Neil