Author Topic: is this a douglas gearbox  (Read 7337 times)

Offline trevorp

• Master Member

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: is this a douglas gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jun 2011 at 08:42 »
Would not think so Trevor. I have most of the range of Dougs but have never seen one fitted with an Albion box. I would be more inclined to think it came from a Coventry Eagle or similar machine. These boxes were also fitted to railway repair vehicles and some rotary hoes etc.

Alan

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jun 2011 at 12:50 »
The CL38 (1938 150cc 2-stroke) was purportedly fitted with an Albion gearbox. But that did not go into production, so far as anyone can tell. The listing is not helped by the fact two different gearboxes are pictured!

-Doug

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2011 at 08:29 »
My Douglas Bantam has a box just like the last pic Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2011 at 04:38 »
Though the Albion box on the Bantam should have a bottom rather than a top mount?

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2011 at 06:01 »
Hi yes it is a bottom mount should have looked closer at the pics regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2011 at 08:26 »
Hi All
   When I started restoration of my Bantam which came minus a gearbox I was Informed by a very knowledgeable member of the LDMCC that the correct gearbox for fitting to my 1935 model was the Albion three speed box with kick-start and clutch which was supplied by Albion for machines up to 200cc. It was supplied in two basic forms. Top Fixing - Model EJ and Bottom Fixing - Model EJ2. The Douglas Bantam used the latter. Fortunately these boxes were used extensively in the period on a wide variety of makes and models so there is still no shortage of supplies and they are not expensive. On one visit to The Netley Marsh Euro-jumble in September 2002 I was able to acquire three of them in various stages of condition for a total outlay of only £50.00. From these I was able to build two good boxes one of these is on my Bantam and the other went to a good home for another two stroke project by another Club member. I am still not sure that the gearbox illustrated above is of the same type as it appears to have the change lever on the front whereas the EJ and EJ2 have the change lever on the side of the gearbox. Chris.