Author Topic: Interested in purch. a rideable Duggie. also need front brake assy for '25 EW  (Read 6532 times)

Offline Syn

Hi,

I am interested in purchasing a Douglas.  Prefer a machine over 350cc but will consider the smaller engined bikes.

Currently have a 1925EW that is in riding shape.  I'm finding I need one with more HP available.  Perhaps 600cc or larger.

I also need a front brake assembly from calipers up to the crosspiece for the 1925 EW.  I don't have one and would really like to have 2 wheel brakes, not just rear wheel brakes. Nice pictures of the various parts will work, as I can then fabricate what I need.

Also need handbrake portion (or pictures at least) if it is available.

Thank you for reading the post, and I eagerly await response.

Thanks,

Jefferson AKA Syn.

-- It is within the power of every man to live his life nobly, but of no man to live forever. Yet so many of us hope that life will go on forever, and so few aspire to live nobly. --Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Jefferson,

The EW was available from late in 1925 onward, so yours would be a very early one. The first few months reveled a score of problems, subsequently rectified on 1926 and later models.

But I suspect you have a 2-3/4hp model as they used a stirrup brake at the front and the EW used drum brakes front and rear. There was also a CW model during that time, a 3-speed 2-3/4hp with dummy belt rim brakes front and rear.

-Doug
« Last Edit: 17 May 2011 at 09:43 by Doug »

Offline Syn

Yep it is an early one.  It actually looks almost identical in most respects to the machine found here

http://www.gerdes-amc.nl/z_douglas%201915%20model%20U.html

which was sold as a 1915 Douglas, with the exception that the fenders are a touch different and the engine has a 1925 stamped on it.

I need a couple good pictures of the stirrup brake in the front and I can probably fabricate it.  Does anyone have pictures of that assembly?  From stirrup to wheel, and also of the brake handle on the handlebar.

Anyhow, it is a great old machine and runs pretty good as well.  But I need something with more HP as I am a tall and fairly heavy fella.

Oh -- the rear brake I have is some sort of leather 'shoe' that presses against the rear v-belt 'sprocket'..... don't know if that means I have an earlier douggie with a 25 engine, but I am guessing perhaps.  Looking at your post, perhaps I have a CW?  It is a 3 speed for certain, and if it is a CW, what would the 'shoe' brake look like on the front?  I hadn't heard of a shoe brake on the front rim before.

I do know that the rim on the front SEEMS to be most matching up with one that would have the stirrup brake.  Maybe I have the wrong rim...  At any rate, I need a front brake for safety's sake. 

Thank you for your reply!~

Jefferson AKA Syn13
-- It is within the power of every man to live his life nobly, but of no man to live forever. Yet so many of us hope that life will go on forever, and so few aspire to live nobly. --Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Jefferson,

You have a 2-3/4hp, not an EW model.

If it were an EW, the engine prefix would be YE, the frame would be MF, and the gearbox RG.

You can get a rough idea of the year (to determine if the timing cover has been replaced or if there is a mixture of components) with this chart here:

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/aa-files/html/identify-part1/veteran3.3.htm

Regards,
-Doug

Offline Syn

Thank you! 

Are there any reproduction or original parts available for the stirrup style front brake?  I really would like to get them if there are some out there.

I need the stirrup and brake pad portion, the pull rod, and hand lever.

Any info would be very much appreciated.

As far as the bike goes, the frame is # 76897, engine is 77544, and gearbox is kg 8542.  The fenders look very much like those on the 600cc bike for sale right now in the netherlands at http://www.gerdes-amc.nl/z_douglas1915.html.  Honestly, she probably is a cob-together of several bikes, but we love her anyway.  :)  She is beautiful as-is.  (but would be a bit more beautiful with a front brake  :o: )

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Hi Syn
   The machine you have is recorded in the LDMCC Machine Register. If you have checked Doug's chart you will have seen by now that the machine is a 2.3/4hp model from 1925. The gearbox is from an earlier model as the 1925 2.3/4 only had a two speed gearbox. The three speed model of 1925 was as Doug. stated, the CW model but the gearbox number for this machine had a prefix of OG or A/OG followed by five digits. Most of the front brake parts are quite easily made but the actual stirrup is a casting. These have been reproduced from time to time by individuals. I found one last year for a current restoration and was offered another from Australia so they are about. I suggest that you advertise for one.  A member of the LDMCC in Holland is producing brake handlebar levers for 2.3/4hp machines.   Chris.

Offline MRD

Hi Syn
As Chris said in the previous post, a member of LDMCC in Holland is producing handlebar levers. He has a post with pictures which can be found at
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=3408.0 
there is no price.
I  guess you can contact him via the web site.
Regards     Martin

Offline Syn

Hi,

Thank you all so much for your help!  And, I appreciate the insight into what the machine is.  I am suprised to know that it is mostly a 25, with the exception of the gearbox.  Fascinating!

I will advertise for the parts I need and will check the posts suggested.

Again, thank you all very much!

Syn