Author Topic: Douglas Gearbox  (Read 12251 times)

Offline Bud Burkey

• http://burkey.motorcyclecity.net/
Douglas Gearbox
« on: 28 Feb 2005 at 03:37 »
I am new, I would like to know what douglas gear box that was used in a VW engine adaptation change and about the years this was done in or some info about this gear box.
Thanks Bud

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Douglas Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2005 at 03:50 »
Mr. Burkey,

I have not heard of a VW engine adaptation.  Even the earliest 36(?) horsepower VW engines would overtax any Douglas gearbox.  The PostWar Douglas only is about a 18hp engine.  Also accommodating the engine in the frame would be impossible without elongation.  

I have seen pictures of the Dragonfly Douglas (1955-57) with adaptations of a two-cylinder Panhard engine and also I think the 2CV Citroen engine.  These were built in the early seventies I believe.  Perhaps they are what you are thinking of?  The first was known as ‘Sir Panfly’.  

Other than the rare pre-war 'Endeavour' model, only the post war Mark series and the Dragonfly have transmissions suitable for a transverse engine layout.  While the gearboxes look different, internally they are of similar construction.  

-Doug

Offline Bud Burkey

• http://burkey.motorcyclecity.net/
Douglas Gearbox
« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2005 at 04:09 »
Doug

I have pics of two bikes by British builders. Brian James adaptation which uses a Douglas Dragonfly frame and Alan Daff used a Norton fetherbed frame both solved the transmission problem with a Douglas gear box and each have side cars on them.
Bud

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Douglas Gearbox
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2005 at 05:38 »
Bud,

Do you have scanned copies of the photos you mention? If so and you'd like to share them here, please send them to the address shown in this topic and I'll post them here.

For those who may not have seen some of Bud's work, here's one photo of a 2316cc Porsche engined 'two wheeled wonder'. There's more wild machinery on display at his website - http://burkey.motorcyclecity.net/index.html

Dave

Updated details for emailing photos - Dave, 11Feb2021
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2021 at 21:32 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Douglas Gearbox
« Reply #4 on: 01 Mar 2005 at 01:00 »
Bud sent in a couple of photos with the following caption.

"Two VW-engined motorcycles by British builders. Top: Brian James' adaptation which uses a Douglas Dragonfly frame. Bottom: Alan Daff used a Norton "featherbed" frame and front fork. Both solved the transmission problem using a Douglas gearbox - something few U.S. crotch-karters have ever seen."

Thanks for sending these in Bud. And for those of us who haven't heard the term before, what's a "crotch-karter"?

Edit... Bud sent in a message that a "crotch-karter" refers to a side car rig.

Dave

Later edit... a couple of close-ups

Online Daren W Australia

• Master Member
Douglas Dragonfly with an inline 4
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2005 at 10:01 »
Hi bear with me I'm new to this. I supplied some parts to a guy in Riverstone Sydney Australia who converted a Dragonfly with a US Crosley side valve 4 cylinder (900cc ?). He stretching the frame a long way to fit the four he also replaced the headlight with a long cone made of steel and blended it with plastic filler then mounted 2 extra headlights next to this. Have not seen a photo yet but have spoken with him many times will try and get photo Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!