Author Topic: Plus 80 exhaust.  (Read 9249 times)

Offline KiwiJohn

Plus 80 exhaust.
« on: 23 Dec 2004 at 19:17 »
I have a Plus 80 that I hope to soon be assembling for the final time, there are pictures in the members gallery.

This bike has a woffle box which quite likely was not original and I am considering fitting regular mufflers instead.

Do I need new front pipes or can I move or bend these to suit?  Can anyone give me suggestions on supporting the mufflers as there does not appear to be much aft of the suspension pivot bracket that I can attach to.

Thanks

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Plus 80 exhaust.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2004 at 03:30 »
John,

See picture below of the 80+ and low level exhaust system.  The pipe runs parallel to the frame.  As the pipes for the woffle box converge slightly to the center of the frame, you would need to bend those outwards.  Since you would also need to lengthen them, and remove the current mounting post from the top of the pipe adjacent to the front engine mount (or perhaps yours does not have this), you might well be better off getting a set of new full length pipes.  There is a clip that supports the rear end that clamps to the lower frame tube about the location of the foot rest; the rest of the system is cantilevered.

-Doug

Offline KiwiJohn

Plus 80 exhaust.
« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2004 at 06:14 »
Thanks Doug, that picture makes it quite clear.  Nice picture too BTW, is that an official Douglas catalogue or advertisement?  Apparently there is more brightwork on mine than the factory did.  

There is a woffle box and air cleaner on mine, the owner from 1965 assured me they were original.  Maybe he is right as it appears the first owner bought it from the factory for shipping to NZ where the air cleaner especially would have been appropriate for his country address.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Plus 80 exhaust.
« Reply #3 on: 25 Dec 2004 at 01:26 »
John,

The picture is a sheet from the factory brochure "Shipshape and Bristol Fashion".  On the reverse are the model specifications.  There is a sheet for the 90+, Competition (Trials) and two versions of the Mark 5 (one with woffe box, the other with the system as on the 80+.)  An additional sheet illustrates options and extras, like crash bars, panniers, and air cleaner, plus a whole list of other items (alloy rims, tanks, etc.)  I do not doubt if one wanted a 80+ with woffle box and air cleaner, one could get it supplied so from the factory.  Likely the amount (or lack) of bright work varied greatly at this time, Kingswood were operating under receivership and technically should not have been making expensive sporting machines like the 80 and 90+ at all!  John Withers is reprinting this brochure.  

-Doug

Offline KiwiJohn

Plus 80 exhaust.
« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2004 at 01:33 »
Thanks Doug,  I dont know John Withers,  would I be able to buy one of these brochures of his?

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Plus 80 exhaust.
« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2004 at 05:10 »
John, you will find John Wither's March 2004 catalog here - https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=148.0
... and can contact him through the email button at the bottom of the page.

Offline KiwiJohn

Plus 80 exhaust.
« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2004 at 07:23 »
Thanks Dave,  I will check that link.

Offline tommy

80+ Pipes
« Reply #7 on: 31 Dec 2004 at 17:30 »
Hi John,
A bit more information for you.
I have an 80+ and the pipes are available from Armours in Bournemouth, UK Tel +44 1202 519409

I also have a MKIV with the waffle box fitted and my father a MK I with the same.
As far as I have ever known the waffle box came as standard fitment on the MKI and offered as an option on the MKIV but ended there.
It was never given as an option on the MKV or plus series.
This would not mean you could not have it if you should ask!
There are three benefits to the waffle box system as follows:-

1. The box stops short of the center stand area and allows the use of a proper, wide center stand. The long pipes use a slim line stand and the bike always falls over!

2. When on a long run, the long pipes get on your nerves as the noise is loud and constant. The new pipes have no baffles in the cherry bomb at the end, they are straight through.
I have considered putting the end pieces from a VW Bettle car exhaust inside the tail pipe, but not done it yet.

3. The long pipes get caught on the kerb when parking in the road with the rear wheel towards the pavement, a very minor thing and of no real concern.

I choose the waffle box for the MKIV as I wanted to use the bike for all weather, all year round riding and they went backwards with the later pipes for everyday use in my opinion.
I have not noticed any down turn in power from using the waffle box, but I do not run an air cleaner.

If you were racing or wanted the max output from your 80+ on the road, I would use the correct straight pipes, but then I would not run with the air cleaner either.

So, the choice is yours.
Original and correct or most useable??

Happy New Year

Tom