Author Topic: WW1 Douglas photograph  (Read 7723 times)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
WW1 Douglas photograph
« on: 05 Feb 2011 at 00:01 »
Luke P. kindly sent in this WW1 photo and request for some assistance.

Quote from: Luke
Hi,

I wanted some assistance with identifying a Douglas Motorcycle in a photograph I recently acquired in an album of old WW1 photographs.
I also wondered whether it is possible to track down information on previous / current owners with the registration number?
Photograph attached.

Many thanks, Luke

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: WW1 Douglas photograph
« Reply #1 on: 05 Feb 2011 at 21:10 »
Luke,

My guess is a 1913 model P or the following 1914 model V (footrests and 2-speed gear, no valence on the front mudguard.) Probably the later, as I believe they changed from straight fork links to the curved ones shown here in the course of the 1914 model year. They are not cataloged except on the larger 3-1/2hp machine, but there are pictures of 1914 2-3/4hp models fitted with the curved links. The shape of the rear carrier does not look like what they changed to in 1916. Also it looks like the rear stand pivot is on the lower chain stay tube instead of below the axle lug (1915.)  So hence 1914, and perhaps mid- to late 1914 at that.

-Doug

Offline LukeP

« Reply #2 on: 06 Feb 2011 at 18:35 »
Thanks for the info Doug, its much appreciated.
Does know if these were issued by the war office? Or would it probably have been purchased by the individual?

I'd like to track down the owner, I found the 2 photograph albums on a market stall, there are around 100 images in total I think.
Would be nice if I could locate a living relative.
The only point of reference in the albums is the Reg No on the motorbike.

Luke

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 06 Feb 2011 at 20:52 »
Luke,

I know there were some postcards issued (you will find them offered from time to time on ebay), but not sure if any were issued by the war office. You would have to consult with a military historian. If a real photograph and not a photo-postcard, then I would think less likely. A historian may also recognize the uniform insignia and determine if it was a department that might have use a motorcycle, or if this is just a Tommy home on leave on his personal mount.

Someone in the UK will have to comment on the prospects of researching the registration number.

-Doug

[fix typos. Doug 02Jun11]
« Last Edit: 03 Jun 2011 at 02:11 by Doug »

Offline gsx1100s

« Reply #4 on: 16 Mar 2011 at 05:36 »
I was trying to find vintage motorcycle registration on line for you. Not very successful.
I did find vintage car rego. The letter "C" is attributed to Yorkshire for cars in England.
 You may find it applicable to bikes as well.
 I have a picture of my Grandfather in WW1 on a Douglas.
The rego on that bike was the same county as the regiment he was attached to.
It may be a bit of a stretch but it might be worth the research .... good luck !

cheers Michael
"My first car was a motorcycle"

Offline Slaapstad

« Reply #5 on: 02 Jun 2011 at 10:20 »
I see that the machine has an AA (Automobile Association) badge on the handlebars. I'd be surprised if a military mount would be registered with the AA?