Author Topic: Mark Flywheel removal  (Read 2918 times)

Offline richson

Mark Flywheel removal
« on: 07 Nov 2010 at 21:41 »
Recently started the overhaul of a spare mk5 engine. The problem I have is getting the flywheel off. The clutch nut was very difficult and had to be cut off, and whilst so far everything I've done has been fairly respectful to the crank, with a purpose-made extractor, weeks of penetrating oil and serious heating will not free it. I'm sure that lamping the end with a big hammer isn't the answer, but the short sharp taps recommended are definitely not working so I'm wondering what the downside is to a mightier whack. The other alternative might be to drill & tap an extra set of holes so that a more substantial extractor can be made with a four-point loading. I really don't want to break anything - any tips?

Cheers,

Neil

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Mark Flywheel removal
« Reply #1 on: 08 Nov 2010 at 00:14 »
Neil,

Usually if you pre-load with the extractor, and give it a good rap with a medium size hammer, it will jump the flywheel off the taper. A soft coin between the extractor end the crankshaft will protect the center in the end of the crankshaft. And you need to use a metal hammer, not a soft mallet. It is the shock of the hammer blow more so than the shear force that jars it loose. For the same reason you do not want to use heavy card stock or the like to protect the end of the crank, as this will dampen the blow.

-Doug

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 08 Nov 2010 at 06:12 »
Neil,
       Sometimes tapers prove resistant to virtually any amount of force, but leaving the puller loaded up over night may have the desired effect. I used to have the same problem when using the 'Douglas puller'. I now use a modified flywheel which I bolt up back to back with the one I am trying to release, then apply the load with an air ratchet - this hasn't failed yet!! If all else fails, and you want to borrow it, I'll bring it along to the December Bristol Clubnight.
                            Regards,
                                   Eddie.

Offline richson

« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2010 at 16:23 »
Thanks for the comments. I had it under load for about a week but it didn't budge when I hit the end of the puller. I had put a piece of 10mm aluminium over the crank end, and that just dented more with each hit.
Eddie I know I can't make the December meet - working away, but if I can keep my cool and do nothing rash in the meantime, maybe I can borrow your puller in Jan?

Cheers,

Neil

motorcycle