Author Topic: Footrests for SW5  (Read 3351 times)

Offline BARRYM

Footrests for SW5
« on: 12 Oct 2010 at 21:21 »
I am need of both footrests for an SW5 Douglas I understand from Doug our global moderator that the part number for these was the same as for the 600EW so I hope  that may make it a little easier to find some. BARRYM.

[Change 'administrator' to moderator'. -Doug, Site Moderator, 22Oct10]
« Last Edit: 13 Oct 2010 at 04:38 by Doug »

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
Re: Footrests for SW5
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2010 at 09:56 »
Hi Check this post http://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php?topic=2899.0 if you want some I can have more cast Regards Daren
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline roy

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2010 at 15:44 »
Hi, if you are a member of LDMCC you should be in receipt of the club magazine, in the adds there is usually an advert from JOHN CADDICK who can supply these footboards.
Roy.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2010 at 15:56 »
There may be some confusion here. The SW5/6 had cast alloy foot pegs mounted on steel extension arms . The LDMCC have had the cast alloy pegs in stock in the past. The DT5 had the same cast alloy peg but one only on the right hand side. The left leg trailed.
The 600cc EW standard model had cast alloy footboards like those pictured but the 600EW sports had footpegs like the SW models.      Chris.

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2010 at 20:18 »
The SW5/6 probably used a rubber top foot peg, same to that used on the 600EW Sports models. While it is not perfectly clear from the catalog illustrations, The foot peg does not look to have the large end flange as seen on the cast aluminum foot peg used on the DT5/6 models. However, the spares list suggests even the DT could be fitted with the rubber topped foot rest. The K29 (1929 DT) Spares list (not illustrated) gives the following:

c/9253 Footrest arm complete with Tube (less pad)
5680    Footrest
2408    Pad
3606    Rivet
ca/5680  Footrest arm with Pad complete

These part numbers can be cross referenced to the F28 (600 EW of 1928) Spares list, which is illustrated. It shows the rubber top foot pad, as seen on EW, OC, and other models of the late twenties. The 7/8 inch diameter tube for the foot rest pad is integral (brazed) to the foot rest arm. There is no listing in the 1929 DT spares list for a cast alloy footrest, bolt, and complimentary foot rest arm that would have been required. That does not mean that it did not exist; I seem to recall going through the DT spares list a decade or so ago and noting that it overlooks a few other key items.

-Doug

Offline BARRYM

« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2010 at 22:04 »
Thank you all for your input, and as i am a member of L.D. M .C.C I will pursue that direction first. Daren It appears I should have added "sports" to my 600EW reference as I'm certainly not looking for foot-boards on this occasion, a SW5 with foot-boards there's a picture! Thanks again BARRYM

motorcycle