Author Topic: Nickel plating on SW5  (Read 3981 times)

Offline BARRYM

Nickel plating on SW5
« on: 23 Sep 2010 at 21:57 »
Hello. Does anyone have the facts on what was "bright" Nickel plated on the SW5. My suspicions would be that the following might have been, please correct me if I am wrong. Handlebars, brake levers, small levers (choke, advance/retard etc.) Tank caps, oil pump plunger assembly. My AMAC carbs have nice plating still which I would describe as dull; but have they just gone dull? I don't wish to over glitz the machine as most of us did years back with restorations. BARRYM

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Re: Nickel plating on SW5
« Reply #1 on: 01 Oct 2010 at 10:29 »
I think the plating on your carbs is probably correct - they weren't brightly polished. I also think you are on the right track with the items to be bright plated - I would add flywheel and exhaust to the list, as well as gear change lever and gate, and possibly the rod also. The petrol and oil pipes should be plated like your carbs ie not brightly polished, as with the plated parts on the magneto. I'm sure there are other minor bits as well that were plated that I haven't thought of, but by the late 20s there was not so much plating on the machines as on earlier models.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline BARRYM

« Reply #2 on: 03 Oct 2010 at 22:53 »
Thanks Graeme, very helpful. Can you answer my earlier posted question of whether the centre front fork spring was black painted or nickel plated; I find no sign of either just light rusting. BARRYM

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:37 »
I would think the spring would have been painted black Barry, but I am willing to be corrected here as I am assuming they were as other Douglas models of that year.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline BARRYM

« Reply #4 on: 05 Oct 2010 at 13:32 »
Thanks Graeme Black it shall be. BARRYM