Author Topic: what model please?  (Read 11473 times)

Offline Brett

what model please?
« on: 02 Dec 2004 at 20:50 »
Hi, I am hoping that somebody can help identify this fuel tank. I have looked through the pictures online but it doesn't match anything shown, its shape is common but it has an unusual layout for the filler caps and the oil pump. It also has what I presume is a oil flow gauge with a regulating screw on it. I would like to know what model or year it's off, what it's worth and if there is anyone that would like it. I have several more photos and can take a photo of any detail thet would help identify it. Any information at all would be appreciated as I would like to find a good home for it. Please contact me at brett.r.mac@xtra.co.nz .
  Thanking you in advance, Brett.

Offline Doug

• Administrator
what model please?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Dec 2004 at 03:39 »
Brett,

Looks like a 1926-1928 350cc s.v. model EW tank, a reasonably common model for Douglas.  The filler caps, oil sight glass, hand pump, and slot for the hand shift lever are all in the appropriate place.  The 600cc s.v. had a similar tank but the sight glass was down on the engine.  The only thing odd is it does not look as slab sided as an EW tank (the sides should be perfectly vertical), and the radius between the top and sides looks too big (should be about 3/4”.)  But this may just be a trick of the lighting.  

I need a petrol tank for my 1927 EW, what is the bottom like?  My email address is in the Members List.  

-Doug

Offline Brett

what model please?
« Reply #2 on: 03 Dec 2004 at 07:13 »
Hi there Doug,
                      the tank is as you describe, the sides are flat and the corners are about three-quarter inch radius. The tank seems to be in reasonable condition, it has surface rust but there are no visible holes. When I tap it it has a good sound, that is to say it sounds the same thickness all over the bottom and sides. Tommorrow I will put a bit of petrol in it and roll it around as best I can with my fingers blocking the petrol tap hole and hopefully stopping the petrol coming out of the tap fitting or oil fittings, then if there are any rust holes they should be obvious. I will mark any leaks with crayon and then get back to you with a report or a photo which I will post on the board. You can probably see from the photo that it has the oil pump and the gauge with regulator screw, The tap is missing but the tap and oil fittings underneath are there and seem to have good threads. If there is anything else you want to know  just ask and I will check it out for you.
   Cheers, Brett

Offline Brett

tank condition?
« Reply #3 on: 03 Dec 2004 at 19:44 »
Hi Doug,
             I put some petrol in it and rolled it slowly around, at first it seemed to have no leaks at all but after about two minutes a damp patch appeared as shown in the picture, it wasn't bad enough to drip or really even get wet but just enough to appear damp, the oil tank was staying totally dry. I circled the extent of the damp patch as it appeared after I had held it so the fuel was over the leak for about a minute, it's circled with white crayon and near the centre of the photo close to the partition between the oil and fuel compartments.
                                                          Brett.

Offline tommy

Douglas fuel tank
« Reply #4 on: 04 Dec 2004 at 06:53 »
Hi Brett,
Thank you for your mail.
I would like to buy the tank if you have a suitable price?
I can arrange the shipping if that is a problem.

Many thanks

Tom Rees

Offline Brett

Make me an offer
« Reply #5 on: 04 Dec 2004 at 18:33 »
Hi there Tommy, Doug, and anyone else interested,
                 I dont know what it's worth so you can make me an offer if you like but I'd really like to see it go to somewhere it is going to be used. If you like to describe your need for it I will take that into consideration along with your fiscal offerings. Hopefully there is somebody out there who only needs a tank to finish off their project and we can get another bike on the road. I wouldn't like to think that I'd sold it to someone who was going to hold on to it in order to make a profit from my generosity.
 Perhaps if you post any offers and descriptions on the forum then we will all decide between us whose need is the greatest. Ok?    
     Cheers, Brett

Offline tommy

EW Tank
« Reply #6 on: 04 Dec 2004 at 20:47 »
Dear Brett,
As I said in my pevious reply, my father has two EW's he is restoring.
The first is about to run and go back on the road and the second is halfway through build.
The second bike has no tank, but as I said, I obtained one recently.
The bottom is very good, but the top sides are like a lace curtain.
I am trying to evaluate how much work it would take to make it useable, but the prospect is not nice.

You will find that most people on this forum are interested in parts for rebuilds and getting back on the road, not for hoarding and making profit from your generosity?

All of my and my fathers bikes are ridden hard, regularly once restored and are never sold on.
(if a restoration is carried out properly, you will mostly have more money in the machine than it is worth)

You mailed and told me about the tank.
I looked and have offered to buy it and asked for a price.
I have already said that I have a 600 EW tank as new for swap, so there is no parts hoarding here or selling for profit.

It is not for Doug, myself or anyone else to see who merrits the purchase of your tank most.
This sounds like a Dutch auction to me!

Having looked at the forum, you should sell the tank to Doug.
He identified the tank for you and was first to state he needed one.

Doug is well versed in Douglas parts and I am sure he will offer you a fair and sensible price.

Failing that, I think the site best suited is Ebay.

Thanks

Tom

Offline Doug

• Administrator
what model please?
« Reply #7 on: 05 Dec 2004 at 04:48 »
Brett,

The small leak you describe is not uncommon when these tanks have weathered a bit.  I made the mistake once of trying to re-solder a spot on a similar tank, and it seemed as if the solder had decayed as when it melted it turned into sulphate and did not want to stick to itself or the tank!  In future if the leak is not in a structural area, a good clean and use of a tank sealer product is probably the best route.  Otherwise a small repair might lead to taking the whole tank apart and cleaning it down to bare metal and starting afresh.  I know!  

I do have a 1927 EW, but it is a basket case that I am leisurely collecting bits for.  I do have the major pieces, but the engine are still on the other side of the Atlantic awaiting collection.  The only large items other than a tank to yet find are wheels, hubs, and brakes.  However it is not going to be on the road anytime soon, plenty of other things to work on.  I will give it some thought and put in a private offer.  I am sure in the timeframe for my particular EW project other petrol tanks will turn up if someone else has this one and can put it to more immediate use.  

-Doug

Offline giorgosk

Re: what model please?
« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2004 at 00:56 »
Brett.

I like also the tank if it is for sale.
i can offer to you 250 euro.
I have a project with a diferent type of tank and yours is a good solution.
waiting your reply and shipping to greece

Offline alwyn

• 1928 - 2009
  • Forum Inspirer
« Reply #9 on: 29 Aug 2005 at 02:33 »
Unless the sale of Brett's tank has been sealed by private treaty it seems there's some unfinished business here.
Would you tell us Brett whether the tank is sold, if so who did you consider the most qualified purchaser? -  or is it still available for the purchaser whose 'need is the greatest"?
Alwyn
Global Mod.
Quotable Quote - "640 k should be enough for anybody"! - Bill Gates - 1981.

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #10 on: 29 Aug 2005 at 09:26 »
G'day all
The chap who offered 250 Euro for this tank must need it very badly or live on Mars where such items are not available!
That is over $400A...for a tank that looks like it needs pulling apart and even then I bet it will never be more than a pattern at best.
If I spotted this tank at an Australian Swap Meet I reckon the asking price would be considerably less than $100....EW's are not that rare.
Howard.