Author Topic: 2.75HP Barrels and other bits  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
2.75HP Barrels and other bits
« on: 11 Jul 2010 at 06:30 »
Hi Folks, We just pulled apart a friends W20 motor to see what a funny noise was - has destroyed a back piston and in the process the barrel also. We would like to find a replacement barrel correct for the bike. We do have a set of TS barrels as well but unfortunately the rear one is a bit sad on those too.

Does anyone have a really good set of barrels - particularly rear ? TS is fine but we would also need to then find sidedraught inlet manifold to suit as the manifolds appear to be different between the two types of barrel.

We want to sort this quickly so its ready for the next Douglas Rally in September !

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: 2.75HP Barrels and other bits
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jul 2010 at 06:56 »
Hi Ian
      The 2.3/4hp barrels are universal externally as far as the inlet and exhaust manifold threaded bosses from about1913 to 1926. Either horizontal or vertical manifolds may be fitted. Other differences concern whether they have lubricators, the extent of the cooling fins and some early barrels have 61mm bore instead of 60.8mm as used for later barrels right through to the Dragonfly. Chris.

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2010 at 12:34 »
Hi Ian,
I saw a really lovely 2 3/4 barrel on ebay last night (while watching the Tour de France on the TV!), but unfortunately it is gone now. It had bid up to about $145, but had all its fins which is rare these days.
I have two rear barrels you'd be welcome to but neither are perfect. One is 61mm-ish bore, and is missing the tops of three of the radial fins on top of the head. The other is 63mm-ish, and is also missing a couple of bits of fins. Both are 1920s, with extra fins compared with the veteran barrels, and other than the few broken bits, the fins are in very nice unwasted condition.
Let me know if you can't find better elsewhere.
Leon

Offline ian scott

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2010 at 13:52 »
Hi Ian,

I have some barrels but none that you could call really good. The best ones I'll keep for young Cameron. Let me know how you go. If you are desperate enough for something needing repair I might be able to help. I'll check out what I have tomorrow (Monday).

Ian.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2010 at 23:59 »
Thanks for the responses folks - we have just managed to find one we are looking at to see if its recoverable. Should know in the next day or so.

I saw the one on ebay last night - unfortunately it was a front one as it looked perfect - would have gone much higher as they would have had an extra bidder !!

Chris, last time Kevin tried some TS barrels on his machine neither the exhaust or inlet manifold would fit - he said the angles were wrong - from what you say he may not have tried hard enough ?

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2010 at 08:13 »
Hi Ian
   With cylinder barrels there is considerable clearance of the barrel mounting holes in respect to the clamping bolts located in the crankcase. This allows rotational adjustment of the barrels. If these are assembled and clamped up before offering up the manifolds then it will be very difficult if not impossible to get the manifolds to fit. This may have been the source of the problem experienced with the TS barrels in the past.  Chris.
« Last Edit: 12 Jul 2010 at 08:21 by Chris »

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jul 2010 at 00:44 »
Thanks Chris !

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2010 at 04:12 »
Looks as though we have solved the barrel problem for Kevins bike so it will be at the rally as planned !! Thanks for all the replies

Offline cardan

• Master Member
    • Leon's Vintage Motorcycle Page
« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2010 at 12:41 »
Excellent. If anyone needs a 2 3/4 back barrel let me know - I have no need for those mentioned above. Leon