Author Topic: FRONT FORK SPRING  (Read 2695 times)

Offline ccew350

FRONT FORK SPRING
« on: 16 Jun 2010 at 20:55 »
Hi, Can anybody help with a problem I have.
On my 250 Comet with single spring forks, the fork spring rubs on the steering head of the frame. This is with the frame suspended and no wheels fitted.
Could the forks have been assembled wrong?. As far as I know they are the original forks. I believe this type of fork was fitted to other models.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Colin.
colin

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: FRONT FORK SPRING
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jun 2010 at 02:15 »
Colin,

The springs do come very close on the mid-thirties big twins, but not touch. I wonder if someone has the top stem anchorage reversed? The spindle should be in front of the steering stem and the pinch clamp to the rear. The bottom anchorage is centered so reversing it would only put the frame stops on the wrong side but not alter the geometry! Beyond that, it could be a case of mixed parts form various models and years. And that will require some pictures and perhaps dimensions to diagnose and sort out. The other thing to consider is if it only just barely rubs, is to rotate the spring on the perch so that a gap in the coil lines up with the flare for the lower steering head lug (where I assume it is touching). The spring moves away from the steering head as the suspension compresses, so perhaps that little bit will be enough to clear.

-Doug

Offline ccew350

Re: FRONT FORK SPRING
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jun 2010 at 19:10 »
Doug. Many thanks for your reply. I will check it at the weekend and try to post some pics. I should of thought putting pics up on the first post.
All the best, Regards, Colin.

Quote of previous post removed - Dave, 19th June 2010
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2010 at 22:30 by Dave »
colin