Author Topic: P&H carbide front light  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Edin

P&H carbide front light
« on: 13 Jun 2010 at 15:42 »
Hej all
Hope for help and advise to finish restoring my Powel & Hanman carbide front light.
Enclosed fotoserie show the lamp house and mirror,- but the mirror come from another lamp,- and connection
between lamphouse and mirror is missing
Is it possible that somebody can help with imformation,- explanation,- sketch or foto - there show, how this connection is made.
I would be greatfull for any help.
Regards Edin DK.

« Last Edit: 13 Jun 2010 at 20:53 by Dave »

Online Dave

• Administrator
Re: P&H carbide front light
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jun 2010 at 20:53 »
Photos added.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jun 2010 at 21:48 »
Hi Edin
    The mirror is normally housed in  a metal shroud covering the back of the mirror with a large threaded stud attached to the rear of the shroud. This stud then goes through the hole in the rear of the lamp shell and is secured with a shaped nut with small wings for tightening by hand. The radius-ed base of a small camping gas cylinder is a fairly good match to the mirror. In the past I have polished and nickel plated these as a substitute for the mirror. However as you have the mirror it should be possible to machine a stud and secure this to the rear of the gas can base and then Araldite the mirror to the can base. The special shaped nuts are not very rare and if you can find one of these in an autojumble you could secure the mirror into the lamp so that it looks totally original from outside. The thread on the stud would of course need to match the nut.  Chris.

Offline Edin

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2010 at 06:29 »
Hej Chris
Thank you for reply,- just what I need.
I think the best solution for me,- is to make a new mirror with connection after yours  description
Regards Edin DK.