Author Topic: EW 350 oil pump gears offered  (Read 5883 times)

Offline LATDOUGNUT

EW 350 oil pump gears offered
« on: 29 May 2010 at 09:47 »
Hello All,

I have had a small batch of EW 350 oil pump drive gears commissioned. Please see attached photo. They were made in 3 % Nickel Chrome steel, case hardened just skin deep and tempered and the hole was ground to fit the pump shaft. I have 3 surplus gears that I can sell @ Euro 40 each plus P&P. I have a Paypal account (+4% of the total amount if paid by Paypal). If anyone is interested please email me off group. I also have 1 surplus EW 350 gear lever made in Chrome steel on a CNC milling machine and ground -- ready for plating @ Euro 60 if anyone is interested. Photo attached.

LATDOUGNUT

« Last Edit: 29 May 2010 at 10:47 by Dave »
No Rest -- No Rust. No Trust -- No Bust!

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: EW 350 oil pump gears offered
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2010 at 19:53 »
Note that there were 20 and 24 tooth versions of the 350EW pump gear. Douglas apparently changed to a 20 tooth gear of a slightly coarser pitch (not sure when) to get more depth of engagement and alleviate the stripped gear problem. The two types are not interchangeable; unless you replace the mating drive worm at the same time. So if replacing the oil pump gear, make a note of the number of teeth and replace with one of the same tooth count. I can not get a tooth count off of these, but the look like the 24 tooth gears. Which are the type that often most need replacing.

-Doug

Offline LATDOUGNUT

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2010 at 21:55 »
Hello Doug,

Thank you for clarifying the number of gears issue -- mine are the 24 teeth type.

LATDOUGNUT

Offline RRinOz

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2014 at 12:21 »
Hello Latdougnut, is there any chance you have an oil pump gear available? Mine is stripped. It has 24 teeth.

Offline LATDOUGNUT

« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2014 at 15:21 »
HELLO RRINOZ,

YOUR OIL PUMP GEAR WAS POSTED YESTERDAY. PLEASE ADVISE WHEN YOU RECEIVE IT.
JURIS

Offline kev

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2016 at 11:32 »

my worm gear is a 10 pitch...my oil pump gear ( that I have is 20 teeth...)
is this a match???
my 20 tooth pinion is missing half the teeth...I have made a new 20 tooth.....but doesn't seem to mesh very well...??

also..on a 26 ew..is there a spring and ball in the end of the crank??  or a flapper valve??   fixing crew??

all I have is a the end of the crank...and the worm...

once I read this post I may  have to make a 24 tooth...se if that meshes any better

any advice at all would be wonderful

Offline LATDOUGNUT

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2016 at 06:07 »
HI,

THE PUMP GEAR IN MY EW350 HAS 24 TEETH. I MADE A SMALL BATCH OF THOSE, BUT ALL ARE SOLD NOW. IF I REMEMBER RIGHT THE CRANK END HOLE ON MY DOUGLAS HAD A BRONZE JET WITH A HOLE AND A SPRING. IT IS INTENDED TO METER OIL FLOW TO THE CRANK. THE JET HAS THROUGH HOLES FROM THE SIDES AND ONE HOLE GOING INTO THE CRANK END.

Offline kev

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2016 at 11:47 »
latdougnut

thanks heaps for the advice...another part I didnt even know I was missing...the quill to connect the oil feed...I knew something had to be in there...connect the oil pump to the crank... a picture and some dimensions of that part would be great

the oil pump drive...I am going to cut a worm gear...I have one but lots of rust pits...and being hardened..the pinion wouldn't last long
a bout of the flu has held up my gear cutting..
got my #5 b.a. die from tracey tools...so now I can make the little pin for the oil pump...either make from en36 or silver steel??  any thoughts..???

so anxious to get this side of the motor done...then I can start on the other side