Author Topic: T35 carburettors revisited  (Read 6260 times)

Offline tck

• old racer
T35 carburettors revisited
« on: 29 Apr 2010 at 07:35 »
I have seen passing comments on fitting modern carbs to the T35 (mine is 1948) has anyone got some suggestions and settings I am not looking for great increases in performance just good mixture control
my initial thinking is 2 off 19mm Mikuni and turning up a couple of adaptors for the head. I do worry that some of the new after market mikunis may have specific settings for 2 strokes is there any way of telling? .My feet are size 8 1/2 (UK) so I may get an air cleaner in there

Offline george sutton

ref; the t35 carbs.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Apr 2010 at 14:49 »
Hi tck, I would be interested in this subject too.  haveing recently published my saga of my t35, and a picture of a happy bunny (me). After all my work on barrels/heads/ etc.etc. i thought i was over the worst of spitting/ blow back. but this blessed bike was'nt even going to let me get her to the MOT centre on monday.   reset magneto and points EXactly to the manual, but Still no joy. Haveing put new glass filters in each fuel line, there shows some slight difference in petrol flow. examineing the float needles they were found to be 'shouldering' on the tapers. sticking or worn needles is going to give an uneven fuel levels for certain throttle demands SO these mk1 carbs really are prehistoric,   therefor, I to would be interested in the expertise available in our club. George sutton.

Offline Dawn

Re: T35 carburettors revisited
« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2010 at 08:01 »
Hi,

I too had carb problems with fuel leaking out/flooding. My other half has put new fuel seats in with unions from kehin carbs soldered into them, Viton tipped float needles added to brass tubing & this was all attached to the original float in the original carb.  To date they have stopped the carb flooding but do require more work to them.  Hope to have them done for Stow. 

Also I do believe in spending money getting the correct slide, springs etc, its not worth getting any old spring/slide & sticking it in.

I have seen Duggies with concentric carbs on but how well they work I don't know.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2010 at 09:04 »
Well it seems I am not alone.Trouble is once the monkey metal is worn its a costly job to get an Amal body refurbished and Bulen is not doing new small carbs yet (if ever).So compared to that outlay £20 odd for a brand new mikuni seems the way to go- (At least it I fail those adaptors will allow me to try out a pair of clip fitting Bowden carburettors I have had on a shelf for 40 years) .However before I buy the mikunis/or other carb options  it would be good to hear about other peoples attempts and settings

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2010 at 20:10 »
OK well it seems that I shall have to suck it and see (pun intended)
It would seem that I shall have to go where no-one has gone before (or if they have they are keeping quiet)
I will purchase some mikuni carbs and let you know how I get on
however I have a lot on at the moment so that may be mid June before I start

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #5 on: 05 Oct 2014 at 10:23 »
I see this is a 2010 post.
Did you ever fit Mikuni Carbs to your bike?  How did they go?
Jonathan H.

Offline tck

• old racer
« Reply #6 on: 05 Oct 2014 at 10:46 »
NO I have not got there yet, I have bought one from Allens performance for my 500 Vincent Comet  (RM) and was very pleased with the performance , I did find that the pilot adjustment range was small 
compared with the amal and a new jet was required to extend the adjustment up or down.
some thought would be required to accomodate the air filter perhaps. next year if I do I will certainly put the results here -too many projects too little time

Offline frankclock

« Reply #7 on: 07 Oct 2014 at 00:08 »
Hello
Having had a lot to do with 2 stroke carbs, you should have no troubles using one made for a two stroke but not suitable the other way round
look into the carb & where the needle jet is protruding into the throat of the carburettor
if there is a protrusion into the throat that looks like a shield just where the needle goes in
that is a 2 stroke carb, its there to stop any blowback from the cylinder when the piston is  going up, otherwise the fuel will not all get into the carb
it can still be used on a 4 stroke
if there is no shield its a four stroke
I used a pair of 2 stroke carbs on my BMW /2 for years
naturally the jetting must be suitable for the engine its fitted to!!