Author Topic: Dynamo Drive  (Read 6202 times)

Offline ccew350

Dynamo Drive
« on: 21 Mar 2010 at 19:29 »
Hi all. Can anyone tell me how the Magneto and Dynamo would be driven on a 250cc Comet. I have a Mag and a Dynamo but no gears.
          Also if anybody has any Comet or Cotswold spares I would be interested.  I have an engine, gearbox and forks, but not much else.
          Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Colin.
colin

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Dynamo Drive
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2010 at 23:49 »
Colin,

The magneto has a gear, same tooth count as the cam wheels. In the face of the drive gear, is a spring loaded cone clutch. Into the center of this, plugs a short shaft; the outer end of which is supported by a small ball bearing in the timing chest cover. One the shaft is a gear, which drives a small pinion on the dynamo.

The drive sped up the dynamo, so that charging would commence at a lower RPM. The cone clutch was intended to slip, to protect the drive in situations where it would otherwise try to rapidly accelerate the mass of the dynamo armature.

-Doug

Offline ccew350

« Reply #2 on: 22 Mar 2010 at 12:58 »
Doug. Many thanks for the pictures and info. Now I know what I'm looking for.
          As usual the Forum comes up trumps again, thanks to all the knowledgeable and helpful members.
 Cheers, Colin.
colin

Offline ccew350

« Reply #3 on: 06 Mar 2011 at 21:08 »
Doug. Many thanks, forgot i had already put up a post. I must be getting senile, the trouble is that I'm building an EW350 as well as the Comet and got a bit confused.
Thanks for your understanding. Colin.
colin