Author Topic: Wanted Douglas pre 1927  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Michel H

Wanted Douglas pre 1927
« on: 14 Feb 2010 at 08:15 »
Hello everybody,
I'm british bike enthusiast riding Vincent and Triumph.
With the aim of driving in rallye, I'm looking for pre 1927 Douglas, preferably chain drive but not exclusively.
I'm freelance worker and have no time or tools to restore, only driving and maintenance.
So I'm looking for a full restored (as genuine) machine. Who can help me ?
Regards. Michel.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Wanted Douglas pre 1927
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2010 at 09:04 »
Hi Michel
   Unless you are prepared to pay huge bucks for exotic and rare overhead valve machinery such as RA, OB, OC and OW models there are only two models of Douglas that meet your preferred criteria for a pre-1927 model with chain drive. (There were some early all chain drive models of 2.3/4hp, 4hp and 6hp side valve models but are very rare and I have never seen one). In practical terms, you will be looking for one of the following two which are firstly the CW model which is the last of the true 2.3/4 hp machines. This was introduced in 1924 and finished in 1926. It was the top of the range with a three speed gearbox, flywheel clutch and all chain drive. The other and available in much larger quantities and regularly coming up for sale is the EW model which took over from the CW and commenced manufacture in 1926. The 1927 model had some revisions in respect of the lubrication system but many of the earlier models have been modified. Although remaining at nominal 350cc it was a radical redesign of both engine and cycle parts compared with the earlier CW. a 600cc version and later versions of the 350cc continued after 1927 into the early 30s. Chris.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2010 at 19:19 »
Michel, it may help if we knew where you were ?

Offline Michel H

« Reply #3 on: 15 Feb 2010 at 06:51 »
Michel, it may help if we knew where you were ?

I'm from Brussels and I can (of course) move to U.K. (30 years ago, I worked 2 years in London. End of march we make a minitrip in this town).

Have a nice week.

Offline Michel H

« Reply #4 on: 01 Apr 2010 at 17:24 »
I found my dream  :D. Thank you for your help.

motorcycle