Author Topic: Cast Iron Pistons  (Read 7596 times)

Offline Clive

Cast Iron Pistons
« on: 22 Aug 2009 at 21:31 »
Hi Everyone ,
Does anyone have a pair of useable Cast Iron pistons 0.020 th oversize or larger for sale to fit a 350 EW please .your price paid.
Regards
Clive

Offline Alan

Re: Cast Iron Pistons
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2009 at 02:36 »
Quite a few alternatives to cast iron ( possibly the LDMCC might have blanks of these)....one alternative is the use of Suzuki Swift pistons., the model as sold in Aus (and probably NZ) about 10/15 or so years ago...I used these in my B29 with only a little bit of modification work.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2009 at 14:25 »
Hi Clive
     LDMCC does not have any cast iron piston blanks and unfortunately the last original cast iron pistons for EW were sold some time ago. Some owners of EW that I know have the opinion that the EW350 really does prefer cast iron pistons. However, I know that JP pistons have provided alloy pistons to some EW owners in recent years. What has been their experience? Chris.

Offline Clive

« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2009 at 00:17 »
Thanks Alan & Chris ,
I think i am on the right trail will let you know how i get on
Regards
Clive

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2009 at 21:46 »
I have used JP pistons on heaps of bikes and cars - for the air cooled bikes as long as you do not use the clearances they suggest (too small) they are great.

Offline ian scott

« Reply #5 on: 28 Aug 2009 at 10:38 »
... as long as you do not use the clearances they suggest (too small) they are great.

I agree the J.P. are fine and great value but the clearances they suggest leave no allowance for running lean at all. I am at least 0.002" over their suggested clearance on my 2 & 3/4 (losing track as I get more honed out) and seem to have at last overcome a propensity to nip up as I struggle with air leaks.

I'll buy them in the future if i need but will be quite generous with clearances.

Offline Clive

« Reply #6 on: 28 Aug 2009 at 21:02 »
Hi Ian ,
As regards clearances would you suggest .004 for the front and .006 for the rear as a  starting point or would you go higher?
Regards
Clive

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2009 at 21:28 »
Two Ians in here !! I seem to recall they suggest about 4 thou - thats not enough - I agree with the other Ian start at about 2 thou over