Author Topic: 1926 EW Shakedown  (Read 6840 times)

Offline davebarkshire

• Vintage Motor Cycle Website (and some music)
1926 EW Shakedown
« on: 19 Aug 2009 at 06:59 »
I just had a very nice early morning ride on the EW as a shakedown for the scheduled MOT test this afternoon. Unfortunately the shakedown shook a bit more than I was hoping for so the MOT is not going to happen. The EW was supposed to be going to the VMCC Isle of Wight scurry in September but this is looking very unlikely now. Anyway, here are some questions which some of you may be able to answer...

1) The timing chest cover is moving due to the screws threads being stripped. Chris Wright has told me that these were originally 27tpi and there is no way that I'd be able to get a helicoil for this gauge. I think that what's required is to have a new set of 26 tpi screws made and to have all the holes helicoiled to 26 tpi. The question is.... does anyone know of a place where I can have this done? Ideally this wouldn't be a million miles from North Devon.

2) I noticed that after about half a mile when the smoke screen was in decline that there was no oil returning through the glass. Is it likely that with the timing cover being loose that this would stop the oil pump returning? If not I will have to question whether the oil pump is working properly. I had it opened quite far (on the sight glass).

3) Because the oil was not returning I decided to use the hand pump. Thinking that it was like my Enfield (which needs unscrewing before pumping) I unscrewed it. This meant the leather disc has unscrewed from the pump rod! I'm draining the oil tank now but can anyone tell me if I should be able to fish out all the bits or will the tank need to come off?

So although it might seem like a minor disaster it was successful in other ways. The motor was really nice and is as smooth and silky as a babies bum and the road speed was really very high so this means that the EW should be quite usable if I can live with the clutch and brakes. The clutch is still very draggy and I don't know if it will ever behave. The front brake does nothing at all and I'm aware that as the EW is registered before 1927 that the testers will only need to see one brake working but have to wonder how an owner of a 1927 EW would get around this? I suppose you'd need a very friendly MOT tester.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: 1926 EW Shakedown
« Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2009 at 11:28 »
Hi Dave
      If you disconnect the oil pipes under the tank you can unscrew the base of the oil pump. You should then be able to push the disconnected parts of the pump plunger back out the top or downwards out of the bottom. You will then notice that the plunger has two leather washers which should be back to back on the plunger and the pump base already removed also has one leather washer secured by a nut. If the washers are in good condition just reassemble the plunger and pump. If they are not in good condition a new set of three may be obtained from LDMCC Pre-war Spares. I cannot comment on whether your oil pump is working that will have to be tested on the bike.
      I have no experience of helicoiling except that I have seen the distributor of the DIY kits who attends the main auto-jumbles. Incidentally, instead of going for 3/16" x 26tpi it might be easier to consider 2BA. This is an even finer thread than the original 27tpi but if helicoils are available you should be able to find suitable standard screws instead of having to have specials made.
       With care in setting up, although not brilliant, the EW front brake should be reasonably effective. It is certainly much better than the brakes fitted on most previous models such as TS. and CW.   Chris.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2009 at 15:05 »
Dave,
          Before attempting to have Helicoils fitted, make sure there is enough 'meat' around each lug - otherwise you may end up bursting the side out of the lugs. I think a better solution would be to open out the holes to 6mm. This is the next larger size that is commonly available and the pitch (1mm) will be slightly coarser (much better in cast alloy). Henry and myself resort to this on our sprint engines without any problems. The only drawback is that you will need to get special screws made if you want them to look original - but in the meantime, ordinary hex heads with get you mobile again.
                            Regards,
                                      Eddie.

Offline davebarkshire

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2009 at 09:39 »
Thanks Chris and Eddie for your help with this. I'll investigate further and will report back when I reach the point of victory.

Offline davebarkshire

« Reply #4 on: 15 Sep 2009 at 15:35 »
The EW is finally legal! It passed its MOT today and will go to the Isle of Wight this weekend for the VMCC Scurry.

I found a local engineering company to helicoil the timing chest screws and these are now M5. The hand oil pump has new leathers and seems to work much better now. There are some areas which need bedding in and a bit of tweaking but today's ride along the coast gave me much more confidence. I'll post some IOW photos next week sometime.  :D

Offline davebarkshire

« Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2009 at 21:11 »
The VMCC scurry on the Isle of Wight gave perfect weather again but the poor old EW had a petrol tank fracture which put it out of the running and I arrived at the lunch stop in the 'van of shame'. Fortunately, I was lent a pre war Red Hunter for the rest of the rally by an IOW member which saved the day. I've found it very hard to get into harmony with the EW from a riding perspective and it just doesn't fit my riding style and have decided that it needs to go to a better home and have asked Chris Spaett to take it under his wing and sort it out and to pass it on to someone who will use it. Here is a link to some scurry photos and you'll see one of Chris Wright with his 350cc combination which he somehow managed to pilot up and down the lanes with a passenger.
http://www.barkshire.co.uk/bikes/misc/2009Scurry/index.htm