Author Topic: Tyres  (Read 3876 times)

Offline David B

Tyres
« on: 12 Aug 2009 at 20:19 »
Hi everyone I'm new to this so not sure how to go about asking questions but here goes.
I have a 1924 350 model and I think it is a CW, its in very good condition having been restored to a high standard.
This year I'm taking it over to the IOM for the Manx GP and entering it into several vintage runs, but I'm not too happy with the tyres as they have been on the bike for about 9 years, but the bike has been in a garage for all of that time.
The tyres fitted at the moment are 2.5x26 and made by Camel industries in Thailand.
I have decided that it would be a good thing to take at least one new one with me just in case of trouble, but I'm not sure what type they are, ie Beeded or wired on, please can someone help with this.
Also I can't work out how the rear brake lever is held on, at the moment it just floats about on the shaft with nothing to stop it moving in towards the frame or coming of all together, as a tempory measure I've put a hose clip on the shaft to stop it moving inwards and fouling the exhaust pipes.
Thanks in anticipation. David Bartram.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Tyres
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2009 at 21:20 »
Hi David
       Tyres made by Camel Industries fitted to a 2.3/4hp will be beaded edge. If it is a CW model then it should have "C" section rims in the form of a smooth curve with the spoke nipples located in dimples and evenly spaced a distance apart from the centre line. If the machine is a TS model then it will have Westwood section rims like a normal bicycle rim in that it has a deeper section in the centre and the spoke nipples are all located in this deep section on the centre line of the rim. However, both designs of rim being beaded edge you will note a distinct large radius at each edge of the rims in which moulded in "ears" on the sides of the tyres locate. These tyres need to be run at fairly high pressures compared with later design wired edge tyres. The 26" x 2.1/2" size are widely available in different makes and from several sources and prices vary with the make.
     There should be clamp rings on the tube on which the brake lever pivots. The inner clamp is also designed to limit the backward travel of the brake lever so that the brake pad is held just clear of the belt rim/dummy belt rim depending on the model.      Chris.