Author Topic: slipping clutch 1924 3.5 hp  (Read 4535 times)

Offline joe1028

slipping clutch 1924 3.5 hp
« on: 08 Aug 2009 at 17:56 »
....i have taken it apart cleaned, counterbored the rivets that were sitting flush with the clutch material  and tightened up the spring tension, but no help...tore down again for another inspection and found no reason other than clutch material may be saturated with lube and possibly the material is thin or springs weak.
 i installed stiffer springs but it still slips...my observation is the diameter of the springs and the diameter of the clutch material are quit far apart and with the thin metal of the plates(along with some corrosion) they may flex some causing a weak link in the clutch?....can anyone possibly give any thickness dims or shed some light? i would think with the adjustable springs the material thickness should not be a big concern.  i do have play in the release plate mechanism so i know the clutch is not disengaged with the clutch released(out).. thanks joe

Offline joe1028

Re: slipping clutch 1924 3.5 hp
« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2009 at 03:01 »
well on the last tear down of clutch the outer side of the metal plate shows signs of slipping but the inner side looks as though there is no contact....i'm wondering if the clutch semi metalic material is too thin causing the clutch stack to not lock (engage) even with heavier springs. seems there is free play in release lever assembly behind clutch and the circular inner spring plate seems to have some clearance also(not bottomed ).. joe

Offline joe1028

« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2009 at 02:03 »
i have ck'd the clutch out and the only thing i can come up with is the material may be worn (.100 thick) plus they are oil soaked causing the clutch to slip even with heavier springs...  can anyone help out with clutch rebuild? any idea's of where to get the two friction disc's or the material to fabricate my own....i googled custom clutch material etc and had no luck ...............thanks in advance, joe

Offline ian scott

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2009 at 11:27 »
hi joe,

don't know where you are from but i know a guy in sydney australia who can reline clutches and brakes. he did my 2 & 3/4 clutch amongst other clutches. my opinion of the clutch on the 2 & 3/4 is that it is pretty average. i am usually paddling the bike when starting from a standstill but it does not slip on hills etc. any gear changes underway i do with the valve lifter. let me know if you want me to find look for the friction guy's contact details.

oh- i have also improved a clutch once by boiling the linings for a couple of hours in a very concentrated clothes washing detergent solution to clean off oil contamination.

good luck.  ian.

Offline roy

« Reply #4 on: 14 Aug 2009 at 14:11 »
Hi Joe, it would be a great help to users if you gave a LOCATION!!. It would be useless for a GB resident to tell you where you could get the job done or obtain materials if you were in Aus.
Regards, Roy.

Offline joe1028

« Reply #5 on: 15 Aug 2009 at 05:39 »
hi, i'm in the usa.. i think the material is too saturated to clean..i am working on the bike for someone and not having any luck finding material or parts. if i could source the material or parts  i could probably do what ever is required to replace it..please fwd the contact in aus as it may be a option for me..........thanks for the help/time ,joe