Author Topic: Just had my first ride on our 1913 Douglas  (Read 4146 times)

Offline phil_h

Just had my first ride on our 1913 Douglas
« on: 07 Aug 2009 at 21:50 »
Hi guys, good to find this resource just when I need it !
My maiden voyage was not without incident, as on of the exhaust valve gaps opened up half a mile from home. Ho hum, easily fixed though.
I've not got any experience of dougies, and because of holidays and illness, didnt manage to get a good handover from ian at verralls, and I'm riding it in the GW run on sunday :o
The problem now is that it wont let me open the air lever without running worse, but seems to nip along pretty well with it shut !
Advice on expected jet size would be useful - and the throttle slide doesnt completely clear the inlet tract ? Is this normal ?
I'll strip the carb quickly tomorrow, but I have a 10-4 slot doing an mx tryout with my wife !
regards
phil

Offline alexd912

Re: Just had my first ride on our 1913 Douglas
« Reply #1 on: 08 Aug 2009 at 06:17 »
Hi there,

Im a total newby to Douglas and when I was driving my Douglas unknown to me and my ignorance but the air lever works backwards to what I was used to. So when I pulled on the cable that was closing (disengaging) the choke and when pushed on the lever that opened the choke (engaged).

Im always finding out new things from this forum:)

Alex

Here is a quote from a mail from Doug:

Presumably with the choke lever pulled all the way, the choke slide is up. This is the normal running state with the choke slide down for enrichment. If it only runs with the choke down and enriched, then I wonder if you do not have a very large air leak in the inlet manifold system, or very loose inlet valve guides such that the normal mixture is being extremely diluted and needs the choke on to get a viable mixture.
Best regards
Alex
1930 Douglas G31

Offline phil_h

Re: Just had my first ride on our 1913 Douglas
« Reply #2 on: 08 Aug 2009 at 17:24 »
Thanks Alex, its definitely the basics that need to be checked first -  I've stopped panicking even though I havnt had time to take it out yet.
The fuel tap has a very nice little fuel filter ... but I dont think it had been cleaned in ages ;)
Fingers crossed that with more than a drip-feed of fuel, the carb will be able to take more air :)

phil