Author Topic: HELP! Cant get oil pump to engage on my 600 OHV  (Read 4339 times)

Offline alexd912

HELP! Cant get oil pump to engage on my 600 OHV
« on: 04 Aug 2009 at 18:44 »
Hi all,

I have just put the timing cover back on my 600 OHV and as per recommendations I took the plugs out and spun the engine around to ensure oil was circulating (I drained all the oil out of the system as Im doing an oil change at the same time)... But nothing.

If I take the cover off and turn the pump by hand I can see the oil pumping through the inspection window on the regulator, but once assembled nothing.

Im wondering if the worm gear on the idle gear is not engaging on to the pump?

Is there any trick to reassembling this part of the engine back together?

I know my engine is missing the plate behind the Idle gear, but it was all working before I removed the timing cover..

Regards
Alex
Best regards
Alex
1930 Douglas G31

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: HELP! Cant get oil pump to engage on my 600 OHV
« Reply #1 on: 05 Aug 2009 at 06:03 »
Alex,
        The idler/oil pump drive gear is mounted on a spindle in the form of a hexagon headed plug with a shaft projecting from the top. This shaft should be long enough to locate in a matching hole in the timing cover. The gear then has a ballrace for the inner bearing and a small flanged bronze bush in the worm drive end. The only plate behind the idler gear is the locking plate (and screw) and does not affect the spacing of the gear from the crankcase.
      While you have the timing cover off, check that the locating pin is engaging properly with the oilpump shaft. This engages with an angled groove that gives the shaft a reciprocating action as it revolves. The pin screws into an extension of the pump body and has a thin locknut.
     Also, check that the release valves are not stuck up - there is one in the pump body (that allows excess oil to recirculate) and if your engine is the same as the late dirt track engines, there is another valve in the form of a banjo bolt just above the quill feed. This is a legacy from the days when a hand pump was fitted and it allowed oil from the hand pump to bypass the mechanical pump. If jammed open it will allow oil to return to the feed side of the pump instead of flowing through the sight glass.
                                Regards,
                                         Eddie.

Offline alexd912

« Reply #2 on: 05 Aug 2009 at 08:05 »
Hi there,

Good point to check the relieve valve as I haven't don't that yet.

As for the shaft I know that is locating perfectly with the timing cover I'm just wondering if for some reason the worm gear is not reaching the idle shaft gear... Everything was working fine before I took the cover off, so no idea why it shouldn't work now :(
My next plan is to try and hold the gear a little way from the idle shaft while keeping the teeth meshed with the other gears and see if it grabs the pump gear.

I know the pump is working as I have added some oil to it when I assembled it and when its turned by hand I can see oil coming from the inspection glass and through the quill.

I will have another try tonight and see how I get on...

Thanks for your help

Regards

Alex
Best regards
Alex
1930 Douglas G31

Offline alexd912

« Reply #3 on: 05 Aug 2009 at 17:29 »
Well I finally got the pump working, well at least once I started the bike it started to pump oil to the inspection window.

Now there doesnt seem to be any oil coming back through the return? Does it have to fill the sump up with oil before it feeds back to the tank? I had removed the drain plug and took all the excess oil out to clean the filter here..

Im worried about riding the bike until I know for certain if I have to prime the engine with oil or something.. I was getting the feeling that there was some funny noise coming from the crank or I could be paranoid....

Alex
Best regards
Alex
1930 Douglas G31