Author Topic: Douglas 500 SV engine No EQ2376  (Read 4045 times)

Offline terryob

Douglas 500 SV engine No EQ2376
« on: 30 Jul 2009 at 15:01 »
I have an engine with dimensions 67mm bore * 80mm stroke with the number EQ2376 on the crankcase. It has been stored in damp conditions for about 40 years at least. I am stripping it down as a retirement project. So far I have found that the engine probably seized on the rear cylinder before someone else started to strip it down, some internal parts appear to be missing.
I also have a Douglas petrol tank assumed to be from the same bike, I have tried to identify the model from photo's on the web and from the info on this excellent site. The nearest I can get is that it may be from an S5, C31 or Y2. I have attached some photo's in the hope that someone can positively identify the model from the engine number and tank style. Any help will be much appreciated, thanks.
I have recently retired as an adhesive chemist and live in Leigh on Sea, Essex. UK.

Photos added to database - Dave, 31st July 2009
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2009 at 22:06 by Dave »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Douglas 500 SV engine No EQ2376
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jul 2009 at 18:43 »
Terry,
          Your engine is from either an S5 or a C31 ( which were, in fact, basically the same machine). The S5 first appeared for the 1930 season and later went on to become the C31 for 1931 and C32 for the '32 season. In '31 and '32, the petrol tank finish featured a tartan surround to the side panels.
        From your photos, it looks as if you have some parts missing from the timing gear - there should be an outrigger plate and oil feed pipe.
       I am currently rebuilding my S6 (the 600cc version). When this is finished, I may have some surplus parts that will help with your rebuild - I have definately got some spare outrigger plates.
                                     Regards,
                                                 Eddie.