Author Topic: Wanted pictures of F/G31  (Read 4254 times)

Offline alexd912

Wanted pictures of F/G31
« on: 25 Jul 2009 at 17:22 »
Hi there,

I have finally got my G31 in my hands and after a quick strip of the carb and plugs cleaned and many kicks I finally got her started:) So it had its first short ride sine 1995 around the local area and turned many heads, not as many as when I drive my Messerschmitt around though...:)

So my dream is to get the bike close to original as possible and Doug has been an amazing help in supplying information and pictures. What I would like though is any pictures anyone has B&W or colour of F/G 31 so I can compare mine to see where things should be. If anyone has some pictures please send them to me, larger the better:)

I will be posting some pictures and I have already found a few missing or wrong parts, namely inverse leavers and a Bowden mag leaver. I have bought one Bowden leaver but I think its for the Choke on the RH bar. The biggest issue is that there doenst appear to be a generator fitted, thus Im really interested so see some pictures with it fitted.

OK all, thanks is advance for your help.

OH and if anyone knows any Douglas members in sunny Finland then please let me know:)

regards

Alex

Pictures to follow----

Best regards
Alex
1930 Douglas G31

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Wanted pictures of F/G31
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jul 2009 at 19:24 »
Alex,

On the F/G31 models when fitted with electrics, a BTH dynomag would be substituted for the BTH M2 series magneto that you presently have fitted. These, like the contemporary Lucas Magdyno had a dynamo sitting atop the magneto. Unlike the Lucas, the dynamo armature was not level but inclined, driven from a bevel gear at the front rather than simple spur gears like the Lucas. I forget how many watts they put out, but is is something close to nil. I do not believe they were very popular, and hence are now hard to locate.

The accumulator would sit in a cradle above the front cylinder.

Identification plate and pictures of a BTH PBKV type follow:

-Doug

Offline alexd912

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jul 2009 at 19:55 »
Hi there,

So the Dynomag appears to be quite hard to get hold of then:( What alternatives would I have open to me?

Obviously I can charge the battery every time I use it. I have re wired the lights as it appears that there was a major short which melted all the remaining wiring in the headlamp (only the side light wire remained). So at the moment I have a 6V 12 amp hour sealed battery fitted which will run the lights for a period of time as in Finland you have to run with lights on all the time. My plan is to dissect the old battery and fit the new battery inside it...

My next challenge is to sort the charging out and find an original dip switch for the headlamp... HELP:)

Regards

Alex

Quote of previous post removed - Dave, 26th July 2009
« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2009 at 21:29 by Dave »
Best regards
Alex
1930 Douglas G31

Offline Reg

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2009 at 10:13 »
Hi Alex,
                     Just a reminder to let you know that contact can be made with other club members in Finland through the membership of the LDMCC

Regards Reg.