Author Topic: 1926 EW exhaust  (Read 6339 times)

Offline Frank

1926 EW exhaust
« on: 23 Jul 2009 at 22:13 »
As a newcomer, I've looked at previous postings on the EW exhaust as supplied by Armours, and could do with a bit of advice.  My bike has this system, and it looks reasonable if a bit "used" now.  The real issue is the noise emanating from the silencer.  When I first fired up on getting the bike home, my neighbour came out for a look as he thought the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight was going over.  So, is this amount of racket normal, and am I (and the neighbours) going to have to live with it, or is it over the top?  If the silencer is in fact shot, has the Armours product improved over the time since the majority of previous posts was made?  Is anybody else doing a better one? Also, is anybody producing the securing rings that hold the pipes to the head?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

Frank

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: 1926 EW exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2009 at 01:51 »
Frank,

The noise level is most likely due to the fact that the replica exhaust system is not made to the original configuration. The end of the exhaust pipe is supposed to be blanked off, and the exhaust gases exit through side slots in the pipe to diffuse the impulses. More than likely, yours just exits out the end of the pipe to rattle around and magnify in the silencer can as if it were a sounding box.

-Doug

Offline Frank

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2009 at 07:01 »
Thanks for the advice, Doug.  You are right - the box is in fact working like an amplifier and the noise is blasting straight out of the tailpipe.  Are there any drawings or specifications in existence for the original box?  I have a good friend who is an extremely skilled engineering blacksmith who would be able to make modifications if specs were to hand.

I note that Overlander/Dropbears in Australia are offering a system, and I have also noted your previous comments on products from them.  Are they worth a shot, do you reckon?

Frank

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2009 at 06:34 »
Frank,

Likely you existing exhaust system stops just inside the silencer. You could get a length of tube the next size smaller that slips inside your rear pipe, and make an extension that extends further inside the silencer. How much further depends on the size of the can, the replicas can vary a bit from the original size. Also they only supply the smaller 350EW size for use with the 350 and the 600cc, where as the original 600EW can was a significantly larger volume. Anyway, this extension can be blanked-off and slotted, or you could as a simpler alternative drill holes in the upper surface of the tube to let the exhaust escape and diffuse. Obviously drilling holes in the lower portion of the tube would serve no point as the holes would be up against the wall of the silencer and effectively blanked-off. It will all be hidden inside the silencer, so it will not matter if it does not look pretty. A few tack welds should hold it in place, if it leaks a little inside the silencer it is of no matter.

-Doug

Offline Frank

« Reply #4 on: 25 Jul 2009 at 08:17 »
Thanks Doug.  Last night I was sitting up puzzling over this one and looking through the grainy photcopies that I have of old manuals.  In one of the Bruce Main-Smith reprints is a sectioned diagram of just the setup you describe, complete with slots.  I'm going to give this a go.

Best wishes,

Frank

Offline MRD

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jul 2009 at 10:46 »
Hi Frank
Instead of drilling holes, you could cut slots with a hack saw, I've attached a picture to give you an idea.
I hope this helps
Regards          Martin

« Last Edit: 25 Jul 2009 at 23:12 by Dave »

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: 25 Jul 2009 at 15:39 »
Thanks for that, Martin; just what I needed to get the spacing and number of slots right.  I hope this is going to improve relations with the neighbours!

Best wishes,

Frank