Author Topic: Fork parts  (Read 8442 times)

Offline ste

Fork parts
« on: 17 Jul 2009 at 11:17 »
 Does anyone know if someone makes reproduction link/shackles for the forks or the spindles for the same? I planned to get them made at night class but thought I'd try here first.

Stephen

Offline Chris

• Master Member
Re: Fork parts
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2009 at 12:49 »
Hi Ste
     You have not said for which model you require fork links. The London Douglas MCC has fork links for 2.3/4hp in both the straight and curved type for the early type forks and also for 3.1/2 and 4hp early type forks. In all cases these require polishing and nickel plating. Spares are only available for members of the LDMCC.
      Fork spindles have to be made to suit the forks which invariably have wear and usually require reaming or in some cases bushing to restore roundness. Chris.

Offline ste

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2009 at 13:03 »
Thanks Chris,
I'll go back to my spares list. I didn't see them on there before.
Is that what they list as a "fork link"?
It's for my 1924 TS I'm collecting bits for, and not having much luck I'm afraid.

Stephen

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2009 at 21:20 »
Hi Ste
       Unfortunately for you the 1924 TS has the later forks which have neither the straight or curved links. They have a different system where the links are combined with cross members (shackles). It may be necessary in extreme cases of wear to ream the cross members. The four spindles on these forks are all different and have threads of various sizes and lock nuts which enables the forks to be finely adjusted for side clearances. It is a job for the lathe. The recommended material for the spindles is EN16T. If you have the fork shackles missing then these will be quite difficult to make. but not impossible. I suspect that they were originally a casting but it should be possible to fabricate them.
Chris.

Offline ste

« Reply #4 on: 19 Jul 2009 at 10:32 »
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. I'll put an ad in the wanted section to see what turns up.

Offline Alan

« Reply #5 on: 20 Jul 2009 at 03:04 »
Not very detailed I'm afraid but gives you a rough idea of the front fork layout of 24 TS...all parts different and some with lubrication nipples, some extending out with caps over the ends.

« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2009 at 22:00 by Dave »

Offline ste

« Reply #6 on: 20 Jul 2009 at 04:24 »
That's brilliant Alan, many thanks.
Love the bike!!!!!!!
Stephen

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2009 at 13:19 »
Hi again Ste
     If you have a copy of the Spare Parts List for the 2.3/4hp Douglas, the page illustrating forks shows both the early "veteran" forks and the later 1916 to 1926 forks as detailed separate components. There you will see the two shackles Part Nos 1557D and 1558D. The four different spindles 1553 to 1556D plus the other parts. In the absence of anything better you may be able to scale these from the information you have on the blades. If you do not have a Spare Parts List, a replica may be obtained from John Withers in Western Australia. His details and lists of replica Douglas Literature is included in the Forum.
Regards  Chris.

Offline ste

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2009 at 09:36 »
Hi and thanks Chris. I've just bought the 3 relevant books for the 1924 model from him. They're extremely helpful when you're finding bits. I sometimes wonder if I'm doing the right thing, as bits are getting harder to find now unfortunately. I'll be patient, and things will turn up hopefully.

Regards,
Stephen

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 29 Jul 2009 at 06:50 »
Hi Stephen
Check out Ebay Australia - there are a set of forks just like what you need on it at the moment.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline ste

« Reply #10 on: 29 Jul 2009 at 09:42 »
Thanks Graeme,
looking now.
Stephen