Author Topic: Nice bikes advertised  (Read 4626 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Nice bikes advertised
« on: 18 Nov 2004 at 22:01 »
Just got a copy of the October edition of The Classic Motorcycle. On the back page there are a number of rare Douglases advertised. Was wondering if the outfit is the banking one ? I think I had better go and buy a lottery ticket !!

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
1932 works outfit
« Reply #1 on: 21 Nov 2004 at 16:56 »
Ian,

The famous banking sidecar with which Freddie Dixon won the 1923 sidecar TT is of a much earlier era than the 1932 750cc outfit advertised by Atlantic Motor Cycle.  Freddie’s outfit still exists in part; the original banking sidecar chasse only survived.  The late Bob Thomas of the I.o.M. built up an RA from 1923 bits (it is not the machine that won the TT, but replicates it as closely as possible) attached it to the original banking sidecar chassis, then had built a replica sidecar body.  The outfit has been on display for many years at the Beaulieu Motor Museum, where I think now it is on permanent loan.  

Douglas also patented a sidecar with a banking body (the chair wheel remained upright) in 1925, but whether they actually made it is questionable.  It had a steering wheel the passenger used to affect the tilt, and the effectiveness of the whole idea is dubious.  

Not sure how these relate time-wise to the American Flexi banking sidecar; where the chair wheel leaned in or out in unison with the motorcycle.  

There are several other 1932 Works machines about, though if they were sidecar entries or Senior TT entries I am not sure.  One is in private ownership in the UK, and the other was the basis for the well known Bury Brothers grass track outfit.  The latter was likely damaged if not destroyed in the fire at the National Motor Cycle Museum in 2003 as it was in one of the halls destroyed.  

By the way your retirement nest egg is safe, as I understand the 1932 outfit advertised has sold.  Not sure what it went for, but the asking prices in those adverts have always been on the most generous side!  

-Doug

Offline graeme

• Master Member
Douglases in Classic Motorcycle
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2004 at 21:04 »
Does anyone know the story of this collection up for sale? There are more advertised in the November issue of The Classic Motorcycle - one listed as ex-Freddy Dixon. Just curious.
Cheers, Graeme

Offline Doug

• Global Moderator
Nice bikes advertised
« Reply #3 on: 23 Nov 2004 at 08:25 »
Graeme,

The Douglases in the Atlantic Motor Cycle adverts for October and November belong to the former LDMCC member Collin Clifford, who appears to be having a bit of a sell up.  I have not seen the Nov. advert, (can you send me a 300dpi scan?) but the Dixon machine is likely his 'Dixon twin cam'  a 350cc Dixon designed with two chain driven camshafts verses to expected gear driven single cam.  I imagine a POA?  

-Doug