Author Topic: Douglas engine for identification  (Read 9295 times)

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Douglas engine for identification
« on: 15 May 2009 at 07:32 »
Sharon sent in these photos of a Douglas engine for identification.

Hello,

My name is Sharon.  My husband and I have an old motorcycle engine.  I have been told by a couple people that they believe it to be a Douglas.  I am trying to research this to see if it is a Douglas.

I have attached a few pics hoping maybe you can give me some info as to brand, age,  and maybe value.

It, as you can see has EL102.2 stamped on it.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
Re: Douglas engine for identification
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2009 at 08:24 »
Too Easy????      Early Dirt Track (speedway) Douglas  1928 manufacture and by the shape of the cylinder finning would be a 500 cc,  basically as produced by the factory except for the Bosch Magneto which was a choice for some riders. These motors were also used on SW road going versions but with a flywheel clutch. Later versions had a lower air box. And yes value provided it is a 500 and not a 350 and if there is no damage to the base of the crankcase, and if it is located within Aust or NZ should I be bold enough to say A$ 1500 to A $2000.  Valuation is provided on what I would be prepared to pay and what I believe any Aust dealer would ask ???????????/

Alan
« Last Edit: 16 May 2009 at 07:59 by Alan Cun »

Offline Dirt Track

« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2009 at 09:07 »
G'day all
Alan has nailed it of course...an early 28 DT/SW motor.
Sharon if you want to sell it for $2100 give me a puzz....I have an early 28 DT frame to fit it straight into....see photo.
Howard.

« Last Edit: 20 May 2009 at 21:35 by Dave »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2009 at 11:32 »
G'day all
Alan has nailed it of course...an early 28 DT/SW motor.
Sharon if you want to sell it for $2100 give me a puzz....I have an early 28 DT frame to fit it straight into....see photo.
Howard.
Well now Howard I don't exactly need the item as explained in my personal email to you as my DT projects are complete and it would only be a shelf display if and, I do say IF we get a response for our input to the forum?????   Alan

Offline Daren W Australia

• Master Member
too many dougli not enough time!

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2009 at 11:18 »
Caught again first was the 4 hp gearbox and now the DT good on ya Ebay yeah next time someone wants a valuation one should just stay in the shadows like the other 700 plus forum members. Alan

Offline ccew350

« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2009 at 18:52 »
Caught again first was the 4 hp gearbox and now the DT good on ya Ebay yeah next time someone wants a valuation one should just stay in the shadows like the other 700 plus forum members. Alan
Alan. Perhaps i have got hold of the wrong end of the stick, but i find the reference to the 700 plus members in the shadows slightly offensive. I have been a silent member, mainly because  i know very little about douglas motorcycles. I own most of an ew 350 and thanks to this great site and all you knowledgeable people i have learnt a great deal, which will help me when i am well enough to start restoring it.
I hope you understand, i am not being nasty, but trying to explain why some members may not contribute as much as others. Once again thanks to all the top members, it would not be as good a forum without you all. Best regards, Colin.
colin

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: 22 May 2009 at 06:42 »
I presume Alan didn't mean any offence to the other "silent" forum members, but I must say I tend to agree with him in regards to giving people estimated values of bikes. To my mind, when somebody asks the value of something they are more than likely going to sell it, so why not come straight out and say the item is up for sale? If you put it up for auction it will presumably reach it's value - that is, what somebody is willing to pay for it, and that's that. In the case of this DT engine, the fact that most of us didn't know it was up on eBay meant it didn't reach it's real value, and more fool to the vendor. In future I too will ignore any questions about the value of bikes or parts thereof.

Offline roy

« Reply #8 on: 22 May 2009 at 10:54 »
Forgive the repetition, but surely this highlites that a location must be included  before an answer is given.

Roy. 

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #9 on: 22 May 2009 at 12:27 »
Forgive the repetition, but surely this highlites that a location must be included  before an answer is given.

Roy. 
Thanks Colin, Graeme and Roy, One good thing about the modern computer and this website is the ability to backspace and censor what we have written. I often over work the backspace and on the above posting there was no exception. When you make a posting you can also access your posting days later and by hitting the mod key delete or modify. Finally when posing a question and someone returns a credible answer surely a quick reply via the post reply with a simple thank you is within most users. regards Alan