Author Topic: Problems starting my 1914 - 2 3/4 hp  (Read 5347 times)

Offline Bob

Problems starting my 1914 - 2 3/4 hp
« on: 03 Apr 2009 at 01:17 »
Hi, I have put together my 1914 and everything looks good. Timing and carby and spark all seem OK. But She won't start. I think I need an expert to come around and check it out. I live in Scarborough, Qld. Just north of Brisbane, 40 min from the city. Also the gearbox (which is a three speed) keeps on jumping back to 2nd gear? Any solutions to that?  Bob. P.S. I am going away for a week and will be back on the 10/4/09. So I will reply to emails then,  Thanks Bob Cowie.

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: Problems starting my 1914 - 2 3/4 hp
« Reply #1 on: 03 Apr 2009 at 06:18 »
I know it sounds obvious - but is it timed to spark on the correct cylinder ?

Offline Bob

« Reply #2 on: 10 Apr 2009 at 01:08 »
Hi, found problem- the drive gear for the timing is worn so someone had turned the gear over and re-marked the gear. The mark was 180' out, the pistons were at BDC not TDC.  If someone has a replacement gear that would part with it , that would be great!   Has anyone thought about my gearbox problem ?  Could it be the gear selector holder? Should that be holding it in gear?

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 10 Apr 2009 at 08:59 »
Hello Bob yes the quadrant is all that holds against the spring pressure of the selectors. It may be necesssary to remove the quadrant and attack the underside with a file. Also it may necessary if possible to pack between the lower arm and the gearshift rod frame pivot to put more tension on the change lever to the quadrant. Dont like your chances of finding another timing gear as they are a common request item on the forum. Gears on the Hercus and South Bend lathe gears have been suggested. I have found many gears that have been reversed in 2 3/4 motors as the outer section is not in contact with the timing gears. If you can find a back yarder that can cut gears resist the temtation to harden as this will radidly wear the load section of the timing gears.

regards Alan

Offline Bob

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2009 at 02:12 »
thank you both Ian and Alan for your imput , I am heading in the right direction. Thanks Bob.