Author Topic: New Member.  (Read 4700 times)

Offline johnd

New Member.
« on: 14 Mar 2009 at 20:26 »
Having recently found and subscribed to this interesting site,I see that there is no option for welcoming new members,but here goes.
My first experience of Douglas Motor cycles is shown in one of the accompaning photos sitting with my elder Brother in the sidecar of Fathers Combination,around 1929.
I am 80 years old and owned my first `Duggie`bought for me as a birthday present by my Father costing 10.
Father worked at the Douglas Factory and was employed initially building racing frames for Freddie Dixon and others for the TT and other races,eventually becoming Superintendant of the Fitting Shop there.
My Brother (who also worked at the Factory) and I both rode in Trials (but not on Douglas bikes).
My second Duggie was a red Sports Model actually built for the 1950 New York Motor Cycle Show,and bought again by Father due to the firm being unable to obtain an export licence to send it.
My sons and Grandson are very `into` motorcycling and we all retain a great interest in the Sport.
Thanks for looking,and hope you appreciate the attached photos.
johnd.

« Last Edit: 16 Mar 2009 at 06:55 by Dave »
john28

Offline PeterH

Re: New Member.
« Reply #1 on: 15 Mar 2009 at 00:18 »
Hi John! Great to see those pics, thank you, and hear a little about your history, I'm sure you have many interesting tales to tell of your Dougie (and other bikes) experiences - hope you can share some in the future.
Cheers
Peter.
Peter
Sth Aus.

Offline johnd

« Reply #2 on: 15 Mar 2009 at 16:58 »
Many thanks for the kind words PeterH.
Much appreciated.
john28

Offline Ian

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 15 Mar 2009 at 21:25 »
Welcome John - I really like the first photo - your da amust have had great taste in machines !!

motorcycle