Author Topic: NRMA Motorfest  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Ian

• Master Member
NRMA Motorfest
« on: 27 Jan 2009 at 05:21 »
I had my OC on display at the NRMA Motorfest in Sydney yesterday - many people came for a chat of the usual type - I/my dad used to have one of those !! However, one guy impressed me most - he had a Douglas when he was 16 - I think from his description that it must have been a CW (first chain drive 2.75 was his description). He rode it as his day to day bike although the clutch never worked. After a while he stopped talking for a sec and then said - that was 76 years ago !! He still keeps abreast of old bikes - buys the Old Bike Australia mag regularly - and had read in detail about the Centenary Rally in 07.

Hope I am still as spritely as that when I am 92

Offline PeterH

Re: NRMA Motorfest
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2009 at 10:31 »
I'd be happy to remember last week, let alone 76 years ago! :lol:
Also be very happy to be reading bike mags at 92! 8)
Got any pics of the day Ian?

Peter.
Peter
Sth Aus.

Offline trakadaka

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jan 2009 at 07:20 »
I had a great day on Monday at the Australia Day Parade in Mornington, Victoria. I had heaps of people looking at my bike and chatting to me, rather than talking to the blokes with their polished vintage cars worth thousands of dollars.

The best story I had was from someone who's father-in-law had a vintage bike in the shed for years, and recently swapped "the old piece of junk" for a lawn mower! I would've thrown in a whipper snipper and mowed his lawn for a while for free.

It also made me laugh as the vintage cars  I followed sounded their horns the crowd clapped and cheered. But when my little dead duck sounding klaxon had a go, everyone laughed.

My bike is going REALLY well, and I'm having a ball.

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jan 2009 at 09:55 »
That is the trouble with the Douglas - it will be the source of much fun - in spite of the fact that some owners put up a great resistance to that enjoyment!!!!   They are great little bikes - and when something does go wrong, it can usually be attributed to the nut holding the handlebars!
                            Keep riding safely,
                                             Eddie.