Author Topic: L/H 274 Carburettor or body Wanted  (Read 6656 times)

Offline beezer

L/H 274 Carburettor or body Wanted
« on: 02 Jan 2009 at 20:36 »
Happy and safe new year to all

Left hand 274 carb (or body)wanted for Mk4.
I can also be contacted by mobile on 07790 727197.
I need one soon as spring is just round the corner (I'm assured!)
thanks
Graham

Offline David H

Re: L/H 274 Carburettor or body Wanted
« Reply #1 on: 03 Jan 2009 at 23:48 »
Hi Graham
Don't get excited I don't have one, wish I did, do you not have one at all or is it that your one has a worn out body and  brass choke, The reason I ask is that often people are told that the L/H chokes are not available and so it is not fixable but actually you can redrill a right hand unit to fit a left hand carby no problems and right hand chokes are fairly easy to get.
just a thought that might help

Cheers
David H

Offline beezer

« Reply #2 on: 04 Jan 2009 at 20:11 »
Hi Graham
Don't get excited I don't have one, wish I did, do you not have one at all or is it that your one has a worn out body and  brass choke, The reason I ask is that often people are told that the L/H chokes are not available and so it is not fixable but actually you can redrill a right hand unit to fit a left hand carby no problems and right hand chokes are fairly easy to get.
just a thought that might help

Cheers
David H

Thanks for that David
Mounting flange in from the stud hole on mine is broken off+looks difficult to weld!!!
cheers
Graham

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 04 Jan 2009 at 20:46 »
The Amal carb bodies used on postwar Douglases are Aluminium alloy and not zinc based. Provided the damage does not extend to any of the drilled passages, your carb body can easily be welded. When riding our Comps in Vintage trials, we went through a period when we kept breaking carb bodies. I usually got the job of repairing them. I found the easiest way was to obtain a short length of 3/4" dia steel tube and then split it lengthwise. The two parts of the body can then be threaded onto the tube to keep then aligned. The welding can be done either with TIG or acetylene torch. If done with acetylene, make sure the finished job is thoroughly cleaned to remove all traces of flux. Boiling up in a pot of water will usually do it. Afterwards, a light spray of WD40 will give protection against further corrosion.
                    Regards,
                                     Eddie.

Offline 90plus

« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2009 at 08:53 »
Hi There !

I have one L.H. Amal Carburettor type 274 AK/ 4A , It's complete except for the plunger which has a broken knob. The overall condition is ok, but needs complete restoration in order to get it to concours condition.

See enclosed pictures

Regards,

Bert

« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2009 at 19:14 by Dave »
the Netherlands
1951 90plus
1954 Mark V