Author Topic: Amac carb on 1927 EW350  (Read 4731 times)

Offline Douglas52

Amac carb on 1927 EW350
« on: 26 Sep 2008 at 10:42 »
My 1927 EW350 arrived today. Its considerably rougher than I was expecting, but thats internet purchasing for you. To its credit, however, it started on the third kick.
The carb which is fitted is labelled Amac and has a screw compression connection to the inlet tract. I also have most of a spare Amac body and what I think is a bare B&B body but no float chamber or guts.
The existing Amac carb is drooling fuel everywhere and the previous owner said he had problems with it. Is is worth persevering with the Amac or should I start looking for an Amal or B&B?
Also I notice the decompressor lever is missing. Does the decompressor serve any useful purpose such as engine braking, or should I put it low on the fixup priority list?

Cheers

Steve

Offline Doug

• Administrator
Re: Amac carb on 1927 EW350
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2008 at 02:20 »
The drooling carb is likely a poorly seating float needle. In that respect you are no better or worse with an AMAC, B&B, or AMAL. It is the same fix for all.

The decompressor is not that important on a 350EW. You really do not need it for starting, as you have found. It is handy for stopping the engine, but you can just stall it in gear till you get around to reinstating it.

-Doug