Author Topic: The beginning of a brand new bike.......  (Read 15939 times)

Offline Manley

The beginning of a brand new bike.......
« on: 16 Sep 2008 at 11:29 »
There was a post a while back of a 1/4 scale model mark4 in the Model Engineer magazine which im a subscriber of.  The model was nicely constructed but i felt a little bit pointless having most of the engine internals there and of the correct material but not actually working.  I was also particularly interested because i thought someone had gotten there before me! 
About a month before it was published i had started my own 1/2 scale 1937 Aero, of which i have the full size bike and bits of a spare engine.  This machine, 500cc in full size will be 62.5cc and i intend it to be fully working and as scale as possible.  Because of the original size, it should be quite possible to ride the bike when completed.  I have attached some photos of the display board which will be shown at the next Ascot Model Engineering Exhibition this weekend - worth going to by the way.  Not all of the bits are on display. 
some features of the engine components are as follows:
  • Hardened and ground big ends to accept scale pattern individual roller bearing (gauge plate not En36)
  • Case Hardened cam gears, followers and adjustable push rods
  • Crank shaft built up and secured as per full size with correct pattern tab washers
  • Working magneto under construction
So far, everything has been machined from solid, although patterns are currently being made for the front cover and lubricator sight feed. 
Im hoping that this will become a gold medal winning model as time progresses although uni will slow things down allot. 

Photos restored - Dave, 23rd July 2009
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2009 at 21:51 by Dave »
2004 Modified Triumph Thruxton
1986 ME
1972 MG B
1967 MG Midget (Sold)
1936 Aero 500
Not Enough Time to Play

Offline Ian

• Master Member
Re: The beginning of a brand new bike.......
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2008 at 23:59 »
wow

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2008 at 00:38 »
The 1/4 scale postwar Douglas by Neville Heath started out with the intention of being a runner, hence all the internal bits. But along the way I suppose it became too difficult, or in the expediency of just seeing it done, compromises were made and it was finished off as non-operational.

Your 1/2 scale looks very well executed. Presumably you have the use of a CNC milling machine, going by the pocketing marks in the crankcase?

Cheers,

-Doug

« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2008 at 01:07 by Doug »

Offline Manley

« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2009 at 19:37 »
Hey, i see my photo sever thing has taken down the old pics.  Well the project is continuing and i have a photo below of the front engine casing.  I have added a AA battery to show size.  I made a 3D model using the original as a guide - taking measurements and then tweaking it to look correct.  The model is then used to make code which is then used by my home coverted-to cnc machine.  Alot of polishing later to remove any chatter and maching marks will finish it.  It isnt finished but had to see what the experts thought.  Apologies for the pictures but its hard to focus with a small hand held. 

front

back - pump holes yet to be drilled for the working pump.

Ill post some photos of the flywheel soonish but below can be seen the center boss which is rivited to the clutch plate itself.  The sprocket will be pressed onto the step on the outer end.  I cant continue because im waiting on the needle roller bearing for the bore size.  It can then be fully parted off.  I realise that the cork holes should be rectangular but i hope you will forgive my round ones. 

Center boss

clutch plate

all good fun  :wink:

Edit: thanks dave
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2009 at 22:21 by Manley »
1986 ME
1972 MG B
1967 MG Midget (Sold)
1936 Aero 500
Not Enough Time to Play

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2009 at 21:53 »
Hi Manley,

Thanks for keeping us updated on your interesting project. I kept a copy of the photos from your first post and have uploaded them to our server and restored the links.

Dave

Offline Manley

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2009 at 22:03 »
Okay, im not sure how interested people are but ill post them up anyway. 

The flywheel is now 95% complete.  All i have to do it skim the corks to run true and make the taper plug for the centre of the flywheel.  Ive tried to keep as scale as possible but ive used commercially available needle roller bearings as those individual rollers are a real pain in the bum.  Im also going to fit a keyway to the sliding inner sleeve that the clutch disc runs on because i noticed that my full size one had some serious scoring from the ends of the spring when it has obvious turned (from a previous owners lack of care).

The corks are now drying out ready to skim flat. 

Sorry for the number of pictures (not really) couldnt work out which ones to pop up.  Oh and there will be more.......(evil laugh)

Rob  :mrgreen:
1986 ME
1972 MG B
1967 MG Midget (Sold)
1936 Aero 500
Not Enough Time to Play

Offline Manley

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2009 at 22:55 »
Rather than post up here i have started to create a website.

If anyone is interested the address is:

http://sites.google.com/site/halfsizedouglasmotorcycle/

Rob.
1986 ME
1972 MG B
1967 MG Midget (Sold)
1936 Aero 500
Not Enough Time to Play

Offline rpf94

« Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2009 at 09:55 »
  I HEAR NEVILLE HEATH ALSO MAKES CLONE DOUGLAS 90 PLUS'S TO ORDER, OR AM I MISTAKEN?
RPF   :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: 

« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2009 at 21:45 by Dave »
gmt380

Offline Manley

« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2009 at 15:56 »
That looks really nice  :D

Hmmm, all the questions i have......

Where is it located? where did he get his tyres from? can i have it  :wink:

Oh and i've heavily updated and progressed if anyones interested :)
1986 ME
1972 MG B
1967 MG Midget (Sold)
1936 Aero 500
Not Enough Time to Play

Offline rpf94

looks brand new, one of neville's
« Reply #9 on: 11 Oct 2009 at 14:18 »
the pictured 90 should have a folding kick starter and the tank is darker than the rest of the bike   

« Last Edit: 11 Oct 2009 at 17:23 by rpf94 »
gmt380

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2009 at 15:56 »
As soon at the photo gets embedded, I will move the previous reply to a new post, as it is starting to get off-subject.

-Doug
Site Moderator