Author Topic: Your Location  (Read 14265 times)

Offline bazza

Your Location
« on: 06 Sep 2008 at 09:24 »
G'day All once again,I have mentioned this topic before and it seems to have fallen on deaf ears,it would be very helpful for forum members to advise us all when they register on this site that they tell us where they live.I don't think by revealing where you live will attract folk of dubious character but its helpful particularly if any of us can give you a hand or are selling or wanting parts.This site goes all around the world and having just got back from the UK, 24 hours in an aircraft is a long time to spend for me to come over and help with your bike.
Please give it some thought.

Bazza Australia

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Your Location
« Reply #1 on: 03 Feb 2009 at 12:10 »
Hi Bazza,
                I have just stumbled across this posting again, and I must agree - we do still seem to be suffering from 'Deaf ears'. This has set me thinking (with my cynical head) that the membership of this forum is becoming divided into two distinct groups: a) Those who use this forum as originally intended, i.e. to spread the comradeship of Douglas ownership, and assist with spares,advice and technical information, etc. and b) those who just want to scrounge the spares and knowledge. I guess I shouldn't be surprised - but still am - that the 'givers' do just that - including their location, whilst those who don't seem to be the scroungers who want something for nothing. They just want to stay anonymous and aloof - perhaps, if we respect that wish, they will end up with what they deserve!!
                                        Regards,
                                                     Eddie.

P.S.    I wonder if this will hit any raw nerves??

Offline roy

« Reply #2 on: 03 Feb 2009 at 13:42 »
Hi Eddie, have thought the same for some time, in fact I contacted Doug to see if was possible to make it a requirement of joining, but unfortunately its not that simple.
Its not as if we were asking for their addresses, a simple Australia, N.Z. U.S.A. U.K. ect would be suffice. 
Perhaps the thing to do or rather NOT DO is reply to posts that do not have a location. :evil:

Roy.

Offline tommy

« Reply #3 on: 05 Feb 2009 at 00:40 »
Hi Roy, Perhaps you could expand on your communication with Doug and why it is not that simple?
Sadly those not party to the PM'S etc do not ever get the full picture as in this case. Why is it not that simple?
I feel you are correct in that you are not asking for full personal details, just a general location (what country you are located). This can not be held under the consumer protection acts???
As for your last statement about not replying to posts without a location, let's see you abstain when it is a rare item advertised that you wish to buy. Will you hold on to your principles then?
There are also a couple of points to raise....
There are many who just dip into this forum and the subject of Douglas and they are not fully savvy (sorry for the UK high street pun) to the workings of this or any other forum.
They do not realise that they can post their location and many do not know how and are not really interested as far as information goes.
It is only the for sale/wants section it really matters to, along with bring your bike you don't know what to do with round my place to fix.
There are many users who do not know how to post pictures for instance. Myself included on other forums and have never tried on this.
For some, this forum is their life and main hobby. This is a good thing.
For others it is a place to look at for reference and pleasure. This is also good and maybe those looking for reference now will become the life blood later.

It is all good.

Keep them both chiming.

Tom

Offline Michael Scott

• Born again motorcyclist.
« Reply #4 on: 05 Feb 2009 at 07:59 »
Greetings All
I discovered that I accidentally fell into the anonymouse category which all my friends and aquaintances will find amazing. The reason being that this is the first Forum that I have actually taken part in to any significant extent despite being a heavy internet user and having managed three web sites and about to manage another.

A born again biker and a reasonably competent engineer I took on an S6 box of bits some four years ago. The  photo in my profile is as it arrived in my garage. It is now very close to a ride and restore stae and I am now in the process of getting it registered.

I have received enormous help from friends, the local VMCC, Frank Dolman, Chris Wright and crucially this Forum.  I must rank as a taker but I like to think that others may benefit from my questions and the answers provided.  I certainly enjoy the threads that are not completely relevant to my project.

From my many volunteer activities I realise that there are more takers than givers but I always bear in mind that if there are no takers I will not get any satisfaction from my giving.

Regards
and thanks for the Forum
Michael

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 05 Feb 2009 at 08:30 »
Quote from: Tommy
Hi Roy, Perhaps you could expand on your communication with Doug and why it is not that simple?
Sadly those not party to the PM'S etc do not ever get the full picture as in this case. Why is it not that simple?

Actually it was me that Roy contacted about making the Location field a compulsory one.

From memory, I think I said this modification was more extensive than one imagines as it would require prompts, some checking of the input and error messages.

The trouble with any modification is that it takes our forum further away from the standard. Each time an upgrade is issued for the underlying forum software, these modifications may have to be re-done on new code on which it has not been tested.

As security  updates and upgrades can come at any time, I can suddenly find myself with large lumps of work to be done at very short notice. As more modifications are added, the situation soon becomes un-manageable and the latest updates or upgrades just don’t get done.

That’s why you'll see many heavily modified forums are running on out-of-date software which in turn leaves them exposed to security threats such as having their pages replaced with hacker advertising, database corruption or complete wipeouts.

Initially, I had lots of little modifications installed on this forum. But as time passed and the updates came thick and fast, I gradually reduced the number to the bare minimum of essentials.

So unless a modification is of significant benefit, or easy to implement and maintain, my view now is to keep custom code to a minimum and try and keep maintenance as simple as possible.

One way of handling the location issue with newcomers is, before replying to their post, to ask where they are located. Maybe if this question appears frequently enough, new members will realise the benefit of others knowing their location, and add it to their profile.

Dave

ps ... having said all that, suggestions for modifications are always welcome!

Offline eddie

• Master Member
« Reply #6 on: 05 Feb 2009 at 09:47 »
Dear All,
             My previous posting was written with the intention of provoking members of this forum to share a little more detail. This way, the Douglas community will become closer and of more benefit to all owners. Let me explain - I have been a member of the LDMCC for 33 years, and held committee posts on and off for 25 of those years. I ride my Douglases whenever the opportunity arises - be it the 1913 in the Pioneer Run, my 1931 Sprinter, my 1949 Comp or my Dragonfly (which has carried me to 6 Special Gold Awards in the ACU national Rally - one of these rallies entailed riding 900 miles in 33 hrs!!). I guess this qualifies me as a member of the 'inner circle' - and from that position, I hear those in the wilderness saying "You don't see many of those Douglases" or "You never see Douglas spares for sale". From the wilderness - you wont. Give us some of your details, get a little closer to the 'inner circle' and you will be surprised at what is available. Just a general idea of your location may result in assistance being quite close at hand. You never know - you could even get that bike running for this next season, and join the rest of us idiots enjoying riding our Douglases and quietly smiling to ourselves!!
                                   Regards,
                                                 Eddie.

Offline PeterH

« Reply #7 on: 06 Feb 2009 at 04:32 »
My 2 bobs worth.
It seems, from previous posts, that the only time that the lack of address becomes a real issue is in the "for sale/wanted" section. I am a member on other forums (bike and car) and a rule, that works quite well, has been set where the "seller" or "wanter" must give his/her location (even just State or District is enough) when posting a "for sale" or "wanted" ad. This helps buyers and sellers determine whether it's viable to follow up on that post or to ignore it because it's the other side of the world, and therefore not economical or practical to pursue.
Perhaps this rule could be implemented here? EG "For Sale, '48 Douglas, good condition, in Sydney, Aust. area."

As for "lurkers" who take and don't give - that's the nature of forums and really nothing you can do about it - some even delight in just causing trouble and grief for a few posts and then disappearing into the ether, but what can you do? Luckily that doesn't appear too much of a problem here, but I've seen it cause major grief elsewhere before the mods have got hold of it.
Perhaps, before giving too much, ask a few questions to determine the validity and intent of the enquirer, and then decide if you want to give any more. After all, you're not obliged to give anything if you don't want to.
Cheers
Peter.
Peter
Sth Aus.

Offline roy

« Reply #8 on: 06 Feb 2009 at 18:17 »
Hi there Dougie`s

I think the point Eddie was making is that if a location is added, should a member have a problem and requires advice/help, then, by knowing roughly where that person lives it may be possible for a member to not only give advice but perhaps practical help, as was the case with Tracy/David and her EW.

I accept that there will always be "takers" they exist in every walk of life today.

Changing the subject, attached is a photo taken this morning from my home.

« Last Edit: 07 Feb 2009 at 19:19 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 07 Feb 2009 at 19:19 »
Photo added to Roy's post above.

Offline graeme

• Master Member
« Reply #10 on: 09 Feb 2009 at 03:57 »
So not much riding going on Roy? We could do with some of that snow in this country - the last couple of days have been truly horrific with the fires.

Offline roy

« Reply #11 on: 09 Feb 2009 at 18:04 »
Afraid not Graeme, this is the first heavy fall we have had for some eighteen years.
With the news from Australia of the horrific fires I think the inclusion of a LOCATION could not be emphasized more emphatically.
Our thoughts are with you all in Aus, at this dreadfull time.

Roy.

Offline Reg

« Reply #12 on: 10 Feb 2009 at 18:05 »
Following on from Roy's latest posting, as he says it is the first significant snowfall for many years in this part of the UK. Subsequently the press and media have had a field day and the blame culture has started with local authorities being blamed for inadequate snow clearance facilities etc etc. with people not being able to get to work. Speaking as a retired fireman who fully understands, maybe more so than many others, the threat from uncontrolled fires as this, the inconvenience of a couple of days getting about really does pale into insignificance compared to the horrendous conditions and loss of life being experienced in Victoria and NSW. As Roy says, our thoughts really are with you all. Reg.

Offline tommy

« Reply #13 on: 10 Feb 2009 at 23:04 »
Hi Bazza,
                I have just stumbled across this posting again, and I must agree - we do still seem to be suffering from 'Deaf ears'. This has set me thinking (with my cynical head) that the membership of this forum is becoming divided into two distinct groups: a) Those who use this forum as originally intended, i.e. to spread the comradeship of Douglas ownership, and assist with spares,advice and technical information, etc. and b) those who just want to scrounge the spares and knowledge. I guess I shouldn't be surprised - but still am - that the 'givers' do just that - including their location, whilst those who don't seem to be the scroungers who want something for nothing. They just want to stay anonymous and aloof - perhaps, if we respect that wish, they will end up with what they deserve!!
                                        Regards,
                                                     Eddie.

P.S.    I wonder if this will hit any raw nerves??

I find this divisive and trying to split this forum into two parts. Rightly or wrongly, I don't think we need your cynical head.
As for those this forum was originally intended I think you need to go a bit further back my boy.
This forum existed before you became involved.
As for your P.S. it would appear you are trying to antagonise people?

There have been some great replies to this Via Dave, Michael Scott and Peter Hunt and it is terrible  people in Aus are suffering.
Roy and Reg. All the way with you.
I am still trying to put my location in, although many know already!
This has more to do with Humanity, than a Douglas forum. Hold on to that, PLEASE!
Tom

Quotation repaired - Dave, 11th Feb 2009
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2009 at 08:50 by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2009 at 08:55 »
There's a topic in the User Guide section of the forum called "How to enter your Location". It explains step-by-step how to do it.
If you wish to encourage another member to enter their location, just copy and paste the link below into your post.

https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php/topic,2251.0.html

Dave

Offline roy

« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2009 at 11:27 »
Hi Tommy,

Glad to see that you are back on form.
With reference to Eddie`s "PS" I am afraid you you have taken the bait "hook line and sinker".

Able to report that the snow has cleared, now looking forward to the Bristol Classic Bike Show this coming weekend at Shepton Mallet, where the Bristol Section of the L.D.M.C.C have a stand.

Regards to all,  Roy. :lol:

Offline richson

« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2009 at 22:50 »
Hi Tommy,

Glad to see that you are back on form.
With reference to Eddie`s "PS" I am afraid you you have taken the bait "hook line and sinker".

Able to report that the snow has cleared, now looking forward to the Bristol Classic Bike Show this coming weekend at Shepton Mallet, where the Bristol Section of the L.D.M.C.C have a stand.

Regards to all,  Roy. :lol:

Hi Roy, my location this weekend is also at Bristol show, wiv me Douggie - on Reality Motorworks stand wiv me Norton (shhh) . . . .
Are you coming down Tommo? - c'mon it's a great show an be good to see you . . .

Cheers,

Neil

[quote tags adjusted, 11Feb09, -Doug]
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2009 at 00:09 by Doug »