Author Topic: CW wheels & tyres  (Read 8964 times)

Offline Jonathan

CW wheels & tyres
« on: 05 Aug 2008 at 11:38 »
Hi, I have a 1925 CW complete and running well, and am now working on a 1924 cw. 
The wheels for both bikes measure 20.5 inches in diameter.  The tyres on the 1925 are marked 24 x 2.25 Ensign Motorcycle.  They look very small and out of place with the large CW guards.
I would like the new project (1924cw) to look better and have bigger tyres.  I have seen other posts, and it seems I should have larger rims and 26x2.5 or 26x3 tyres.

Does anyone know what the rim diameter should be?
What brand of tyre would be best in either of the sizes?  Where can I order them from?

Also, has anyone made a rear sprocket for a cw?  Looks a little difficult to me! It is only the wheels and sprocket holding up this project.
Thanks in anticipation.
Jonathan.
Jonathan H.

Offline Dirt Track

Re: CW wheels & tyres
« Reply #1 on: 06 Aug 2008 at 06:18 »
G'day Jonathon
The VMCC in NSW have 26x2 1/2x 2 3/4 rims and tyres.
I think 26x3 rims are getting hard to find althought I think they are the right size for your CW.
Howard.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 06 Aug 2008 at 09:30 »
Hello Jonothan, Yes Howard is right the 26x3 does fit on to your rims. They were available at the VMCCNSW but dont know if they were able to get new stock as the quantity the club had to buy prohibited buying. As for the sprocket the splines can be produced but the pattern in the sprocket would probably have to be cut with a laser. Coming from Geelong do you know if Jim Whitney at Geelong Laser Cutting is still operating. The late Andy Clarke and myself had many Doug parts cut by him particularly hand lever plates for TS and CW and stand parts plus many other bits. The price was good too.
Alan

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #3 on: 06 Aug 2008 at 13:35 »
Hi all
   According to the original specifications for the CW model when it was introduced in 1924, the standard tyres were 26" x 2.1/4" of first class make according to supplies. Later models adopted balloon tyres but these were 25" x 3" as used as standard on the follow on EW model. My 1925 machine when I purchased it had originally fitted the balloon tyres but these were on a smaller diameter rim than the earlier rims used for the 26" tyres. Research at the time established that the only tyres currently made and officially recommended to fit this rim size was the 24" x 2.1/4" and indeed one of these had been fitted. With the large mudguards of the CW, it looked ridiculous as Jonathan noticed on his machine. All other CWs of which I was aware belonging to LDMCC members had the commonly available 26" x 2.1/2" tyres fitted on the correct larger rims. I rebuilt my wheels with the larger rims and fitted the 26" x 2/1/2" tyres. . As Jonathan's rims are only approximately 20.1/2", these are clearly the rims fitted to the later machines intended to take the 25" x 3" balloon tyres. It has been a thorny problem for EW owners as to what tyres to fit as their original fitments have never been reproduced. A number of early EW restorers changed their rims to WM1 and fitted wired tyres, a good safety move in view of the quantum performance increase over its predecessors. Then opinions were offered that 26" x 3" tyres could be fitted to the smaller rims in place of the original 25" x 3" and indeed I am aware that a number of recent restorations have gone down this route. However, "experts" on the vintage tyres scene who had cheerfully given this advice in the past cannot now be persuaded to confirm their earlier opinions. Clearly "Health and Safety" issues are coming to the fore and they are now not willing to recommended 26" tyres on 25" rims as 26" tyres should be fitted on the larger rim made for them.  Chris.

Offline Jonathan

« Reply #4 on: 07 Aug 2008 at 07:39 »
Thankyou for all your comments.
That helps me to understand the situation, and I'll order some rims to suit the tyres available.
Kind regards
Jonathan (Geelong)
Jonathan H.

Offline Chris

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 07 Aug 2008 at 08:35 »
Hi Jonathan
   I should have mentioned that the CW has "C" section rims unlike the other 2.3/4 hp models of that period which have Westwood section rims. When I obtained the larger diameter rims these came as just spinnings of the "C" section. I had to make a dimpling tool to use on a fly press to press in the dimples at the correct spacing for 40 spokes. The spoke dimples are off set from the centre line 20 each side and about 3/4" apart. The dummy belt rim spokes are in line with spoke dimples on the left hand side and situated so that each is central between a pair of adjacent spoke dimples. I did not dimple for these, just drilled holes, as the spokes for the belt rim are at rightangles to the rim. The holes for the spoke nipples then need to be angle drilled from within the dimples so that each spoke arrives at the correct angle to the hub. It is all very much easier with Westwood section rims in which all the spoke nipple heads lie in the central groove. Chris.

Offline Chester McKaige

« Reply #6 on: 11 Sep 2008 at 22:25 »
Jonathan,
I see you are in Geelong. I'm also in need of a new sprocket for my 1926 CW and could also do with a set of new wheel rims.
I live in Melbourne so we may be able. Perhaps we could get together and see if we can get the price down?
Just a thought.
Regards
Chester Mckaige