Author Topic: Douglas Side Valve Static Engine  (Read 10241 times)

Offline Big Bill

Douglas Side Valve Static Engine
« on: 19 Aug 2008 at 22:34 »
Hi Guys, I have a pre-war Douglas static engine. What I would like to ask is; If I were to use the engine in a road model, what was the 600cc bike that this engine was derived from? I don't have numbers yet but will look ASAP.

« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2008 at 22:39 by Dave »

Offline eddie

• Master Member
Re: Douglas Side Valve Static Engine
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2008 at 05:40 »
Bill,
      This engine isn't derived from a motorcycle engine. The only thing in common with the bike engines is that it was produced by Douglas and is a flat twin. This looks to be from an industrial truck of some kind - hand starting gear, car type clutch, fan cooling and spark plugs where they would either foul the wheels or get swiped off, if the engine was mounted across the frame.
                                              Regards,
                                                        Eddie.

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: 22 Aug 2008 at 10:48 »
Hello All, The motor shown I believe is in fact from the Douglas Scissor Lift truck or its derivates eg milk delivery. The motor I believe is a little bit rare having plate heads (were these produced by BSA during wartime????) instead of the cast in head side valve versions copied from the EW28 and E 29. Of the 5 or 6 complete and parts motors only 1 of mine is of the shown configuration.  I will post a pic of my scissor lift in the future, however I think my pic was In the New Conrod last year. As mentioned before I have fitted one of these type motors in a modified T6 frame with a Norton gearbox that I will also feature when a bit more restoration work is carried out. There are a few usable parts in the motor ie conrods cast pistons cams and the magy and drive gear although usually a low profile BTH. regards Alan

Offline Big Bill

« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2008 at 20:59 »
Hi Alan, I'm very interested in what you said, I'll look forward to seeing the 600 engine in a T6 frame. What are the chances of getting hold of a T6 frame ? What were the problems of marrying the engine to the Norton box? I have an Endeavour box in the shed. I was wondering if this engine would marry up to the Endeavour box? The biggest problem with that idea is that I don't have a shaft final drive. Someone once told me that a Morris 8 Axle could be modifidied any thoughts? Regards Bill

Quote of previous post removed - Dave - 24th Aug
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2008 at 22:35 by Dave »

Offline Big Bill

« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2008 at 21:17 »
Hi Alan, I'm very interested in what you said, I'll look forward to seeing the 600 engine in a T6 frame. What are the chances of getting hold of a T6 frame ? What were the problems of marrying the engine to the Norton box? I have an Endeavour box in the shed. I was wondering if this engine would marry up to the Endeavour box? The biggest problem with that idea is that I don't have a shaft final drive. Someone once told me that a Morris 8 Axle could be modifidied any thoughts? Regards Bill
[/quote]Hi again Alan, it occurres to me that if I did decide to mount the engine Trasversely across the frame, would it be a possibility to source a couple of cylinder heads that would fit that engine but with sparkplug holes in the top (virtical plugs) rather than horizontally? Regards Bill

Quote of previous post removed - Dave - 24th Aug
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2008 at 22:36 by Dave »

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: 24 Aug 2008 at 08:51 »
Hello Bill, Unfortunately most of the knowledge I have on Douglas is for the fore and aft models. This is the shape my special has taken. Basically I have used the crankcase minus the cranking shaft and governor and fitted E29 barrels and heads mainly because the outlets of the stationary heads point straight down and the exhaust angle would be in the way of the frame rails. It was also necessary to make an extreme bend to the seat down tube to make the Norton box fit upright behind the motor and clear the mudguard. Must say also that the chosen frame had been removed of the top bar and headstock when I received it from country Victoria. Another 600 frame in bad shape was used to refit the top bar and headstock. As for Endeavours never seen one only know of 2 in Aust so can't really comment on what to achieve. Do know of a forum member with a different motor in his Endeavour but maybe he wishes to stay clear of this one?
A quick trip to the shed and I believe S6 T6 heads would replace the alloy heads (plugs at top of head) however the Stationary heads do have the plugs sunk into the head and an angle plug lead wouldn't protrude all that far.     Hope this is of some assistance?????????? regards Alan

Offline Big Bill

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2008 at 19:27 »
Hi Alan, The S6 heads would make a transvers engine a pactical possibility. I saw a Blue Chief engine many years ago at the Bristol Bike Show which would have fitted well with the Endeavour but I didn't have the other parts at that time. Life can be tormenting sometimes. Thanks for the info, regards, Bill

Offline Doug

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2008 at 23:16 »
Quote from: Alan
Do know of a forum member with a different motor in his Endeavour but maybe he wishes to stay clear of this one?

He will probably regret it  :wink:, but here is a link to the machine in question-
https://www.douglasmotorcycles.net/index.php/topic,2838.msg10409.html#msg10409

However in this day and age I would say I am not a big proponent of making hybrids from rare bits, it is poor custodianship. Exceptions are when the deed has already been done or the parts are already damaged and beyond practical salvage for their original use. Also if the parts are readily available, the loss of one or two more is no big deal.

Finding the bits to complete your Endeavour, and it sounds like you are missing quite a bit from your advert, may be an impossible task. One of the practical reasons the above hybrid is going to stay a hybrid is finding an Endeavour engine is difficult, and getting the owner to part with it even more so. You could of course use a Blue Chief engine, but they are not all that common either. At least the correct front forks were shared with other and later models. Have you considered just selling you Endeavour bits and getting something a little more complete? Of course there is the challenge of building your own special, but can you do it without cutting up usable original parts?

-Doug

Offline Alan Cun

• Master Member
« Reply #8 on: 24 Aug 2008 at 23:30 »
Sorry Doug, I have done it again but but I am sure within a couple of weeks there will be about 500 hits and many will have enjoyed your pics and commentary. regards Alan

Offline Big Bill

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2008 at 22:12 »
Hi Doug, Thanks for that, I feel suitably admonished and chagrined! No, I don't believe in hacking things about but if you can bolt things together with a bit of ingenuity then it's better to see them running until the right bits come along. I'm a very patient man and I don't sell any bike that I build. I have a 1926 Royal Enfield 225cc, a 1939 Panther 248 cc, a 1955 Triumph Trophy TR5, a 1958 Panther 600 cc, a 1964 Greeves Essex and I have enough parts for a second 1933 Panther 248 and as you know, I'm collecting Douglas parts. Everyone of them was a basket case to start with, I just like to see them run again, Kindest regards,
Bill