Douglas - For Sale Items

Douglas 1913 Model P motorcycle

Douglas - Wanted Items

Douglas 1915 3 Spd-Gearbox and Clutch

Support & How to Join

Side Panel Notices

Quick Comments

Reminders, links to interesting topics, bump your own topic, quick comments or any short message of interest to members. Try it out!
Please note - 500 character current limit

Dave

Today at 01:04:34
Welcome to the new site!

Recommended viewing for a fast start...
 - Quick Tour of the Front Page
 - Quick Tour of the new Attachments

Please see the bottom post in this topic for more info.

Nut and Bolt sizes on T/S6 motors

Started by kmd, 11 Aug 2008 at 15:13

Previous topic - Next topic

kmd

Hi All

Can any help me with the sizes of the nuts and bolts on the T/S6 Engine?
I think they are 25tpi but they seem to come out really odd sizes,
Good old Mr Douglas?

Many Thanks
Kevin

Chris

Hi Kevin
    The most common bolt size on the 1930s models relating to cylinder head nuts and studs etc. is the 5/16" x 25tpi. There are also examples of the other Douglas special thread size of 17/64" x 25tpi. Taps and dies for these sizes are held in pre-1939 Spares by the LDMCC. You may also find examples of 1/8" and 1/4" BSP and another odd size used on oil and petrol unions being 7/16" x 19tpi. The carburettor base connection on many carburettors is 9/16" x 20tpi. Some timing cover screws are 3/16" x 27tpi. Again taps are kept by LDMCC for this size. Even where standard Whitworth threads are used Douglas often selected the non approved sizes such as 7/32" x 24tpi screws  used on many pre-1939 flat tank models for holding the petrol tank to the top tube. I am sure it was all part of Mr Douglas' plan to ensure that if you wanted spares for your Douglas, even down to a nut, you had to buy them from him.
Chris.

kmd

Chris

Thats a great help.

Thanks
Kevin